1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What you don't get, YF, is, as Ace put it, the systematic way that the Nazis were able to instill fear into the Jews to prevent them from resisting. I read somewhere that, to dissuade Jews for trying to escape concentration camps, they made it clear that they would kill 50 Jews for every one who escaped, and 100 Jews if they killed a Nazi. That is a pretty powerful deterrent, especially when you're separated from your family, and scared not only for your life, but that your family would get killed because someone else resisted or escaped.

That fear instilled in the Jews was just as powerful as taking away their guns. To Jews, the primary goal was survive by any way possible, even if it meant obeying people who meant to destroy them. Take the Warsaw ghetto, for instance. Hundreds of thousands of Jews were taken away before the last group finally decided they had no reason left not to resist. Those other Jews left because they figured that if they obeyed the Nazis, that the ones left behind would be safe, and that, by cooperating with them, they would be able to survive.

Had they, or anyone before them, had decided to take up arms, they risked not only themselves getting killed, but their whole population at once. So, they decided to obey, and not resist, in the hope that they would be able to survive.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is such horseshit. Yeah, I'm sure ole Ben on the streets was forced to make daily snap distinctions between mass shooters and stickup shooters, you know so he could quickly decide whether to launch into his superhero sacrificing-himself-for-others mode.

Can't wait to see what crazy shit Ben's gonna say next to top his victim-blaming routine, telling us that prisons cause gayness, that Obamacare is worse than slavery, comparing gayness to bestiality, etc. And, yeah, not surprised at all that his Popeye's gunman story may be coming apart, that smelled like potential bullshit from the moment he said it.

Yet he's polling in second place amongst Republican presidential candidates ...and the frontrunner is fucking Donald Trump... WTF?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The outrage machine is so tiresome at this point, it doesn't even register with anyone who isn't already inclined to oppose the candidate. We have a situation in which the mainstream media workforce is largely wired for political correctness, and reacts based on its values, assuming they are universally shared. It's why they spent weeks on end declaring that Donsld Trump had finally done it this time.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'd rather infuse gun rights into the Holocaust than win!

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Tutsi in Rwanda were armed. So were the rebels in Darfur.

I'm also guessing some Jews were armed in the '30s.

But the idea that guns alone would make a populace able to fight off an organized, efficient military force the size of the SS, which was hell-bent on its destruction, is pretty ridiculous.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's Mark Wahlberg-level logic, but from a candidate for the President of the United States.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who is the last political candidate to torpedo his campaign by saying something offensive? The Republican rape guys?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Baron, I understand all of this.

I'm ok if you want to say Carson was wrong.

I just think the whole, "he said Holocaust!!!" and so now I will not listen to anything else he had to say is silly.

9. YankeeFan

There are plenty of good reasons to not support Ben Carson's campaign for president.

I do not support him. I think he's brilliant in many ways, but not qualified to be president.

But, I don't think it's necessary to try to make the case that he was a "Bungling Surgeon" or try to disqualify him because he made a reference to the Holocaust while trying to illustrate a point.

Just beat him. Make a better argument.

10. YankeeFan

His larger point wasn't that the Jews would have been able to prevent what happened. It was that there's a reason why totalitarian regimes want to disarm their populace.

Is that wrong?

Isn't it true that totalitarian regimes prefer an unarmed populace? And, therefore, wouldn't it be reasonable to question any regime that attempted to disarm it's populace?

11. YankeeFan

Macaca?

12. YankeeFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.