1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016 Class Nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The nominees are in for the RnR HoF class of 2016, and it's a mighty strong list in my view--clearly way more viable selections on the list than in previous years.

Rock Hall of Fame: Janet Jackson, N.W.A, NIN, the Smiths Lead Nominees

Here's the list--have at it. I'll be back to add some pithy commentary later.

Chicago
    Cheap Trick
    Deep Purple
    The Cars
    Janet Jackson
    N.W.A
    Nice Inch Nails
    The Smiths
    Yes
    Chaka Khan
    Chic
    The J.B's
    Los Lobos
    Steve Miller
    The Spinners

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Smiths. That's all.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For me, Cheap Trick and the Smiths should be slam dunks.

Outside of that, I'll guess Chicago and Deep Purple get in. Probably NWA and Yes. I'd probably vote for The Cars, but I doubt they make it.

And Steve Miller is fucking awful.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes and the Smiths are the only deserving nominees.

I like a lot of Steve Miller, but he doesn't belong in HoF, ditto the Cars.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

NWA probably gets in based on the Straight Outta Compton bump.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm shocked Steve Miller and The Cars aren't in. Like it or not, they left pretty pervasive stamps on the 70s and 80s.

There's four that I would put on my ballot without blinking: Yes, Chicago, Cars, Steve Miller.

In terms of who actually makes it, I have no idea based on this year's list, but would not be surprised if N.W.A. or Nice Inch Nails made the cut.

Starman likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

You people skipping over Cheap Trick kill me. Can you honestly tell me you forgot? Forgot the magnetism of Robin Zander, or the charisma of Rick Nielsen?

8. PCLoadLetter

And my dogs have left a pretty pervasive stamp on my lawn.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I think Chicago would have been in a lot sooner had they not taken a trip down Soft Rock Lane. Some of their early stuff is really, really good. "It Better End Soon" and "Prologue: August 29, 1968" are fantastic anti-war songs, and "Beginnings" also is another good one from that time period.

I am stunned Steve Miller isn't in either. I'd argue his guitar work is among the best of anyone.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Chicago should be in based on the Terry Kath years alone. As Corky notes, their late 1960s-early 1970s albums have some great and (at the time) groundbreaking music. Both "CTA" and "Chicago II" are great rock albums.

Yes had a similar run of great music in the early and mid-1970s. As we SJ.com prog rockers have noted, the Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge are three of the 1970s best albums, all released in a two-year span. I'm frankly surprised Yes is not in already. Oh wait ... Jann Wenner runs the Rock Hall. Question answered.

Agree that Cheap Trick should be in, too. Great live act with a long stretch of good albums, still sound good live today.

The Smiths, NWA and Deep Purple also should get in.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Cheap Trick, Chicago, the Cars, Deep Purple - they all had great careers. I just don't think they're HoF great.

NWA will get in, but I still object to rap music being included in the rock HoF.
    I object to ongoing policy of 'rock n roll' glomming onto and co-opting every other genre of music.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted