1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is 100 percent on the money.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But there's the rub. Other than himself, what does Donald Trump truly believe in?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty clear that Trump supporters believe (for the most part) that trump believes in what they believe in. We saw the same phenomenon with Obama and his supporters in 2008.

Beyond that, some Trump supporters don't care about his positions beyond immigration and/or don't care about his positions one way or another. They just want party leaders to be punished for taking them for granted.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ben Carson has an amazing life story and an almost unbelievable career as a doctor. He is an unqualified American success story and is a role model.

He also doesn't seem to have any clue about what it means to be President. It seems that his main policies are to tithe, love Jesus and hate Obama. Just because he speaks slowly and without spittle doesn't mean that what comes out of his mouth isn't clueless and often hateful.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Kasich is smart enough to come toward the middle, which extremists on both sides should learn to embrace.

You're not going to resurrect the past. You can only build for the future. And our majority is in the middle.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Do you believe him to be articulate?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Very true. Unfortunately, that probably won't win you the nomination in either party the way American politics is practiced in 2015.

8. dixiehack

I think you're right in your basic analysis, and that scares me. The rabble clamoring for a "strong horse" is how a Putin or Mussolini gets in power. And while we hopefully have enough checks and balances in place to keep a president from doing that level of damage, this craving for authoritarianism (even if its supporters would never call it that) is a long-term threat to the health of the country.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Also: He's famous.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Come on, say Hitler. You know you want to.

old_tony and Songbird like this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

His name recognition and fame certainly helped him, as does his willingness to to do multiple interviews per day, and to communicate directly with his supporters via twitter.

The other candidates may lack his fame, but they also lack his willingness to do interviews, and talk to the voters. I don't have a lot of sympathy for them in that regard.

12. dixiehack

No, because I don't think he has some kind of deep-seated racial/religious/xenophobic hatred fueling him. I think he just craves power for its own sake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.