1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buys Journal Media Group

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by studthug12, Oct 7, 2015.

1. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I also love the laughable title, "Chief People Officer."

murphyc likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Everything is awesome!

SFIND and Killick like this.
  8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my previous job, where our esteemed VP of HR decided she didn't like that title, so she changed it to Vice President of People & Culture.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. The letter is written by someone with no people skills, which is probably why the guy shot to the top at Gannett Corporate.

I think if buyouts are being offered, the potential for layoffs, etc., is implied already, so why be so heavy handed?

"Hey, we know you have a tough decision, so we are going to add a layer of guilt and fear to the mix and see if that helps!"

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Not much different than Tribune Publishing. If you've just turned 55, you have two options under the plan the company announced the other day: Take a buyout that will pay the bills for up to a year, keep your retiree health-care benefits and hope you can survive until you can tap into your retirement accounts penalty-free; or stay with the company, lose your retiree health-care benefits -- and run a high risk of being laid off in a year or so anyway.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Keeping the health benefits is a pretty good deal. Makes freelancing and such more viable options. At least for a period of time.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Talk about a veiled threat. That letter is downright screaming at them, "You either step aside and retire or we'll find another way to get rid of your ass."

Wow. And what a fucking moron this Harmon guy is. He put the deadline date in the letter twice. Did they really need to read it in the second paragraph and the fifth paragraph of a five-paragraph letter???

If that's not a threat, I don't know what is. What a fuckbag.

Draft saved Draft deleted