1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Xfinity/Comcast Sheep...Buy Your Modem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 7, 2015.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Feel like a clown, was "renting" my cable modem for over a year before realizing that could just buy my modem and install to avoid the $10/mo. charge. (Bought it but be careful, if you have phone service have to get the correct modem)

BTW, got my service a year ago and they now inform me that they did 2 upgrades and are now willing to send a new one for no added charge. No thanks.

Comcast cable speeds are a good improvement but the phone service stinks (not me, my wife insists on landline).

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I bought a cable modem about 2 years ago. It took about 5 or 6 months to pay for itself. It was a no brainer. I got the modem on eBay -- someone had a huge lot of them (used) that they were dumping incredibly cheaply, one by one.

I also happened to call the cable company (TWC) again yesterday to cancel (i.e. -- renegotiate). It was that time of the year.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Make sure you check your bill. I bought my modem when we first got wireless internet in 2007, and five or six years later they started putting a modem rental fee on the bill. Called to complain, and it was taken off without a fuss, but then a few months later it started appearing again. Same process repeated itself several times over the past couple of years.
    I guess they just ding random people with it and hope they don't notice. Nice way to make a few million extra.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Why don't despondent, nutty, gun loving suicidal people shoot up cable company offices? What we need is one really massive one, followed by a bunch of copycats.

5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

What benefits are there to buying the modem from Comcast? Can't I just pick one up at Target/Best Buy, etc. rather than from the ISP at what is likely an inflated price?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When do we have to send Comcast our answers? Midnight Friday?

Vombatus likes this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought this thread might make cranberry sprout wood.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes, and it's much cheaper in the long run.
    We got our first one in 2007 and just replaced it this summer. Bought a modem/router combo for $235 at Best Buy, so it should pay for itself in about two years.

Draft saved Draft deleted