1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015-16 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The Dolphins essentially gave up on the season by installing him as the interim guy.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It always amused me when Dolphin whiners would bitch that "Dave Wannstedt ruined the Dolphins!" Umm, it's been over a decade. Now what's the excuse?

Bronco77 likes this.
  3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The excuses are Wayne Huizenga, Nick Saban, Randy Mueller, Cam Cameron, Bill Parcells, Tony Sparano, Jeff Ireland, Stephen Ross, Dawn Aponte, Dennis Hickey, Mike Tannenbaum and Philbin (and I'm probably overlooking a few other passengers in the clown car). In other words, everybody who has been in an ownership/management/head coaching position since Wannstedt.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think Philbin was that "hands-on" as a hc and it seems clear he hasn't recruited the best staff. (The Incognito stuff really was poorly handled). I don't care how dynamic a candidate is, I wouldn't hire an HC without knowing what kind of staff he would put together. I also wonder if there are issues with Ross. He's been rebuffed by a few sought-after coaches. I don't anticipate having Tannenbaum as GM is going to attract many big names either.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Caldwell has to be high on the list at 0-4, but would Bill Ford give Matt Millen protege and apprentice Martin Mayhew a chance to hire a third coaching regime , even as an interim, when you've barely got #2 paid off?

There's every possibility the Lions will go to 0-6 or 0-8. At some point they've got to decide that anyone and everyone in the organization who was ever alone in a room with Millen must be eradicated -- a decision they should have made about 0.02 seconds after the decision to fire Millen.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Philbin should've been fired after Incognito. It was clear then that he had no clue what was going on in the locker room.

7. Agree on Caldwell.
    Chip Kelly wouldn't surprise me. His mad scientist approach to the Iggles isn't working and players - such Murray - are not happy. He makes the turn at 2-6 or 1-7, he's gone.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He may leave anyway. There's a line of colleges a block long willing to promise him public blowjobs for life, and Texas figures to be at the head of said line.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No way Kelly would end up in Texas. I imagine him at a school where a) he could win and b) he won't hear "Well, we don't do things that way here." and c) the boosters won't have a hang-up about him not being married and d) he won't have to spend a lot of time schmoozing boosters.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Speaking of...word is the possibility of that happening with the college program you and I are intimately familiar with is a lot less remote than previously thought.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'll never understand how J-Lo and Gloria Estefan have skated this long without catching their share of the blame.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Really? That would be a huge reversal.

Draft saved Draft deleted