1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Think there was a thing in How Not To Be Wrong about a lottery syndicate from MIT. Can't remember what lotto they were playing (I assume Mass) but there was a specific game where, in specific circumstances, the expected value was > $1. IIRC they ran into the problem where, eventually word got out, other syndicates got in on the deal, and that increased the likelihood of split prizes, which lowered the expected value again. State knew what was going on but didn't care, because they made money either way. Only other players were getting screwed.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that the more sleaze that gets exposed the partner leagues will be unpartnering with these sites.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Had never heard of it ... here's a link to a story about it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...illion-report-article-1.1128482#ixzz22o5j6WxV

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Cool.
    As an aside: How Not To Be Wrong was a really cool book (written by a UW-Madison professor, so of course it rocked!). Probably doesn't include anything you didn't already know, but was a basic introduction to various forms of statistical modeling, coupled with the history of them (the original insights the lead to the breakthroughs, etc.) Really nerded out on the history part, but also was good in a "here are several different ways to think about the world around you" way, too.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Aimed way too low:

[​IMG]

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

She used to work for WWE so she has a lot of experience working for fixed outcomes.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

From Deadspin.....

Use promo code "WEAREFUCKED"

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The guy in the original story who leaked the lineup data couldn't have used the data to win the $350K. There's no proof that insiders are using lineup data to win on other sites. Its seems that insiders tend to win on other sites, but part of that has to be that they are the type of people that can win at these games by creating a sophisticated system.

That MIT gambling group story was fascinating when it came out. The game was odd the way it reset every few weeks and the lottery didn't notice anything was wrong even though certain stores' machines had been practically taken over by these groups.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to know if all of this bad publicity is causing a rush of people cashing out their accounts.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That might be the smart move, at least sooner rather than later. Despite the few differences between the two, I still think this daily fantasy craze goes the way of online poker sites. I had a friend who had a few grand tied up in his poker account when they were shut down. He got some of it out, but it took a long time.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had a couple hundred in mine, but I got it out when they tacked the online poker prohibition to the SAFE Port Act back in, what, 2006? I got it out pretty well ahead of when the Feds seized all the online accounts of the poker sites, but a few of my friends hadn't gotten their out. Don't think they ever got it back.

If I played DFS, I'd do the same and get it out now.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't foresee any trouble getting with people getting their money out of DFS sites. I don't think accounts are going to be seized or frozen by the government or that the banks would refuse to process a transaction. If the sites go out of business because of a change in the law, there will be cash there. The sites would have to be monumentally stupid to be playing with the players' money when they are getting huge venture capital investments.

Draft saved Draft deleted