1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The next idea for a lame-ass Will Ferrell sports movie...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, but WWII POW camps aren't actually funny. It had to be written as a fictional farce to be funny. The actual ABA was hilarious. I liked the movie, but I see his point.

That movie could have been set in the CBA or USBL and it really wouldn't have made much difference. But a movie featuring things that actually happened in the ABA could be fantastic.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And I'd be interested in seeing that, depending on who was making it. The subject alone doesn't make it a good movie - see '42' and 'Invincible.'
    I think Ferrell's comedy doesn't match Starman's sensibilities, which is cool, but a much different factor than the 'Semi-Pro' not really being about the ABA.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm just laughing my arse off that someone thought my like of Semi-Pro was due to a perception it was an actual depiction of the ABA.

4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I actually started writing a treatment for "Balls in the Wall" documenting a Will Farrell character's journey through $200 a game indoor football until he
    reaches the ultimate -- the arena football league where he makes $900.

I came up with a scene where his team is playing in a rural West Texas rodeo arena with a carpet over the dirt because the local rodeo is taking place that night. Well, the bull gets loose and chases Will Farrell around. I thought it would work, then he did something similar in Loose Balls ... then I said, "Frak It." ---

Draft saved Draft deleted