1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just finished the Martin book and enjoyed it, though I thought at 500-some pages it was about 100 pages too long.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll second Chet the Jet and say thanks to all who recommended "Station 11."

Entertaining read with a plausible doomsday scenario and some well-developed characters. The fact much of it takes place in Northern Michigan is a bonus.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Just finished the latest Jack Reacher book. Lee Child has not lost his touch.

4. Chet the Jet

Chet the Jet Member

New reacher on the way soon. The last was slop. And cruise is prepping reacher2.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Oyster, the Netflix for books system, is sunsetting its all-you-can-read system over the next few months. I'm bummed. For about 13 bucks a month, I could read five or six books on my Ipad every month.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Finished "House of Echoes" by Brendan Duffy; kinda creepy in a lightly populated New England town sort of way. Not bad. Gets good reviews on amazon.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Ruth Reichl's writing style. I can taste her food, even when she's talking about something I've never eaten. She has a new cookbook out -- My Kitchen Year -- a product of her first year after Gourmet magazine was shuttered. It's 136 recipes with anecdotes about their importance in her life, and lots of photos.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Picked up the "Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015" last night and devoured about four stories right off the bat. Excellent new entry in the series.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I came across a mention of John Niven's novel Kill Your Friends, about a thoroughly unlikeable late-1990s British music exec, on a music blog I frequent. It is hilarious, profane, totally twisted and completely fucking brilliant.

10. Just finished the Husband's Secret. Total chick book, but very well written. Wonderful story and character development. The Pandora's box and butterfly effect of the story was fantastic.
    I - a 40-something family man married for almost two decades - found the story very appealing.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Chrissie Hynde is my all-time fave rock and roll chick, I think she is the greatest. Unfortunately I can't say the same about her new memoir, Reckless. It meanders through Ohio, London, Paris and other places before finally picking up steam over the last third when she forms the band that would make her famous.

Also recently read Never Enough, Michael D'Antonio's new book about Donald Trump. Pretty entertaining stuff that does a great job examining Trump's life, trying to sort out his endless bullshit and endless self-promotion among other things.

Draft saved Draft deleted