1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I hope this traces back to Goodell.

I Should Coco and Riptide like this.
  2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

We're all day to day.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Does that mean they've netted that much, though, or just won that much, before losses?

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Shut them both down.

6. Dick Whitman

Why? Because they have annoying commercials? (That apparently work.)

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Has to be the latter. Nobody ever bothers to actually report what was spent to acquire winnings. Because too often it takes the shine off the winnings and dulls the story.

We already know that the biggest winners are playing hundreds of rosters to acquire those winnings. Playing that many rosters doesn't come for free.

8. YankeeFan

I just want to make sure I understand how the inside information works...

Is it that if you see that the majority of players are picking particular players -- a top quarterback for instance -- you know you'll just be with the pack by picking the same lineup, so you pick different players, and if they stand out, you'll be among the few at the top?

And, I suppose that if you have this info about DraftKing lineups, you can assume that Fan Duel's are similar, so if you work at one, you play the other.

Isn't the easy answer to this problem to just make this info available to all players in real time?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, that is how it's done at horse tracks and jai-alai frontons. You can see how much is bet on each position in real time and adjust accordingly.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The information is why these sites make money. Never give a sucker an even break. Besides, it's the Heisenberg principle at work. If everybody had the information, then their picks would alter accordingly and there would be new market inefficiencies to exploit.

11. Dick Whitman

Then there would be no edge for the people who put in their homework.

In the 50/50 games, you want to try to pick with the crowd. It makes it likely you'll cash.

12. YankeeFan

It kind of reminds me of picking NCAA brackets. If you just pick the favorites, you'll never win. And, if you pick the same couple of upsets as everyone else, you'll never win. So, you have to pick some upsets that no one else is going with, and hope they work out. And, if you fill out multiple brackets, you have multiple chances to go against the conventional wisdom.

Now, with brackets, you don't necessarily know who everyone is picking until the tournament starts, though lots of people make their picks know before the deadline.

But, if the daily fantasy rosters stats were known in real time, wouldn't it require almost more work? Picking unique, but potentially winning rosters would be even harder, wouldn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted