1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctors Without Borders closes Afghan hospital, says U.S. may have committed war crime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"You're so unimpactful."

doctorquant likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Very nice ...

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of my college professors used to say, "Saying it is so doesn't mean it is so."

So go find those racist posts you accused me of writing.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

I already have pointed some of them out, but how many racists actually think they are racist? Think about it.

I also doubt you finished college. You went to school for an extra year and didn't have a clue that your journalism exit plan would pay less than a job in the industry.

5. Baron Scicluna

Pointed them out? When? Show your posts where you did. This is now the second time you've flat-out declined to do so. Put up or shut up.

Oh, and my journalism exit plan would have paid the same amount, if not more, than in the journalism industry if I had been able to secure a job and get some experience. If the choice was entry-level pay in the new industry, or mid-level pay in journalism, I chose journalism. If the choice was mid-level pay in the new industry, or mid-level pay in journalism, I would have chosen the new industry.

But of course, you're fucking clueless about anything and haven't contributed a damn thing to this message board under your current incarnation. As a contributor, you're worse than JC and Sunshine. At least they inject some humor on occasion in their posts and attempt to back up what they say. You, on the other hand, run off like a coward.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You couldn't figure out you would be paid at an entry-level rate in the other industry with no experience? I mean, you quit the search after a whopping two interviews, yet you're calling others morons?

7. Baron Scicluna

Um, dipshit, I knew I'd be paid at an entry level rate in the other industry. It's called preparing for the future. I quit the search after I got another journalism job, that actually paid more than what I had been making.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

So, without diving into the childishness that this thread -- like threads here are wont to do -- has become, I will attempt to provide a bit of clarity on the weapons systems used.

From all indications, the munitions were fired from an AC-130 gunship. They don't ALWAYS operate at night and are not reserved for support to special forces operations. I have been supported by AC-130 crews on a four occasions. Twice at night; twice during the day. It is an old C-130 that has been modified with several weapons systems, including high-resolution cameras and targeting systems. It's primary weapons are a 25MM GAU machine gun (think Gatling gun), a 40MM Bofors cannon and a 105 Howitzer. Their guns are mounted on the left side of the aircraft. When they fire, they are in a constant left turn, in order to place the weapons systems at a better angle. They are NOT precision weapons and do not fire guided munitions. Some munitions are coordinate based; some are guided to the target by searching for a coded laser pointed at a target; some are dumb. These are dumb. That said, these dudes are good. I have toured their facilities and flown with them as they train. They shoot every single day (it's really ridiculous how much money they have). This video is a really good primer on how the crews work (
    ) . Their average first shot is within approximately 15 meters of its mark. The next one (on stationary targets) is on. That's pretty amazing for 1960s technology. These guys are running calculations and literally using Kentucky windage to hit targets and they are phenomenal at it.

That said, if the hospital was hit, they meant to hit it. I'm not going to get into the argument that we intentionally fired upon a hospital without combatants inside in an attempt to hurt casualties or workers. That's absurd and everyone here knows that. Do we fuck up? All the time. I'm just saying they hit what they meant to hit.

Rules of engagement at this point -- really for the last five years -- are so restrictive that these guys wouldn't have fired on the building, had combatants not been in it (IMO). An aircraft commander isn't going to risk his career over it. They also can't clear their own fires. Someone on the ground has to do it for them. Someone on the ground has to tell them they are cleared to fire. I doubt Americans were on the ground, so Afghans were in the lead. Maybe there were Americans there. Not sure, but those are becoming fewer and father between.

They could've quite possibly not known what the building was, too. This likely wasn't a planned operation, but hasty support to a unit under fire.

Jeff, Songbird, doctorquant and 7 others like this.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, saying things like "I won," and "Elections have consequences," on his first days in office sure showed a want to work with the other side. Especially how he was saying it to people who also won their own elections.

Funny how "Elections have consequences" was such a hailed term in January of 2009 but became a reviled term in January of 2011 and 2015.

10. Baron Scicluna

Sure. He told them that after they acted like a bunch of John Hammonds about the economy, which had failed under their previous leader, during the '08 election.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The economy collapsed under a housing bubble created by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the CRA -- to quote Maxine Waters, "under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines." It was even in a couple lamestream media outlets.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito...vestment-act-cra-mortgage-defaults.htm?p=full

12. Baron Scicluna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.