1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctors Without Borders closes Afghan hospital, says U.S. may have committed war crime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

U.S. officially shifting blame to the Afghan government:
    U.S. commander: Afghan hospital bombing 'accidentally struck' civilians - CNN.com

But if U.S. commanders already had the coordinates of the hospital, how come they still went through with the missions, without getting any of their own intelligence? Doctors Without Borders says it informed U.S. commanders that it was being attacked, yet the U.S. continued bombing.

I don't care if the Afghans lied and said they were under fire. U.S. bears ultimate responsibility here for not knowing who they were bombing.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a big military fuck-up, yes. But fuck-ups happen in war. Admit the fuck-up and move on.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. No need to hold anyone accountable for the actions or the initial lies about them.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's a pretty cavalier way to look at an hour-long bombing raid on a hospital.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I didn't say ignore it. Admit it and address it head-on.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Baron, Rip, and Starman just don't have it in them to call a spade a spade.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still waiting for you to find my racist posts.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

We would have never bombed that hospital if Bush hadn't mastermind 9/11.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

War is just a video game now.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, pretty much from day one, Obama's been fucking up by doing stuff he thinks will gain respect and support from Republicans, when the only things he could do to accomplish that would be to undergo a full body skin bleaching procedure, and to commit suicide.

But it's been about six years since he could blame that on the GOP any more. Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice, shame on you; fool me 1,000 times, I'm a fuckin dumbass.

We shouldn't even be in Afghanistan, and we are mostly because of fuckups by both Junior and Daddy Bush, and yes, even Grandpa Reagan, (and no, Clinton doesn't get off Scot-free either) but Obama's had plenty of time to wash his hands of it and get our asses out of there.

Riptide likes this.
  12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

We finally washed our hands and got out in Iraq, and look what happened ...hello, ISIS. You think Afghanistan would fare any better without us?

As we've learned the hard way, leaving these places is a far more difficult and hairier thing than going in. It's OK to be for finally cutting and running from Afghanistan--god knows we've been there long enough--but only if you're also OK with the Taliban and Al Qaeda promptly re-taking everything there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.