1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Draft Kings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Meh. I don't have enough in there to worry with. I'll keep playing until it runs out, or until I luckbox into a big enough prize to mean something.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is dumb -- even by your usual attempts to deflect a conversation away from something by creating a circular semantic sideshow.

States HAVE created monopolies for themselves. I posted about how state lotteries are run -- they make it illegal for private entities to run a lottery and then do it themselves. The conversation -- and you disgareeing with me for pages -- had zero to do with some nonsensical semantic nuance about how I never felt the need spell out a belief that states shouldn't even be in the lottery business.

You were argumentative with me for posting that people can make the decision to play a lottery for themselves -- they know what gives them utility for their money. That notion drew out your characteristic posting style.

As I said the thread is still there. Anyone can read it.

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Let the poor have their lottery, cheap booze, and smokes, plus daily fantasy sports!

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What could be more fun than an interweb argument on one thread about another thread? Stay on topic, people.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I hate it when people drag unrelated crap from thread to thread. In this case, it was two threads about the same thing, though -- gambling, and whether people need to be protected from themselves. I wasn't trying to create an interweb argument, although it was inevitable that would happen. I was just pointing out that on the other thread (re: the lottery), he threw up posts suggesting people couldn't decide for themselves (they were being "exploited," spending their money "irresponsibly," what they "really need."). On this thread (fantasy sports gambling), it's a bunch of busybodies trying to to take away other people's fun. For me, that inconsistency was definitely about the topic.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Montana is one of five states that bans online DFS, but in its case it is to protect it's own racket.

Montana Lottery | Fantasy Football

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The PR director for DraftKings is Justine Sacco, the chick who was shamed on twitter for making an AIDS joke while flying to Africa.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Threads colliding!

I almost thought you were joking, but here she is: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justinesacco

And people said she'd never work again.

9. YankeeFan

I guess Winners Win! was already taken:

[​IMG]

10. YankeeFan

There are so many rules about how you can advertise financial products, and then I look at how government advertises the lottery:

[​IMG]

11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What is legal and illegal in this country is so fucking arbitrary and nonsensical, I can't even get angry about it any more. Used to rage against lotteries and other legalized forms of gambling because sports wagering isn't legal, but all that just mirrors pretty much every other aspect of our society. I give up.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted