1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm 1:15 in, and Leslie Jones has had the two best moments of the show. The new guy could be decent.

And I still can't stand JostChe.

2. jr/shotglass

I'm 1:22 in, and Leslie Jones has had the three best moments of the show.

3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

It's been customary for a person with his role - Updated host, one of the head writers - to get the regular cast billing recently. Tina Fey received it, and once he moved from regular cast to Update host/head writer, Seth Meyers had it, as well.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

True, but both Fey and Meyers were in many other skits, too, not just Update.

5. jr/shotglass

Well, we've seen that Jost is a candidate to get into sketches. But if you're one of the writers, would you tend to write sketch comedy around him, given his dry delivery?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Whoa, Hillary's head looks gigantic in this sketch.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think Fey was in much until she was off SNL, and came back to host or do Palin segments. They even poked fun of that in a skit, which is so off the radar I can't find video of it online: Newscaster Party - That and being a lady slapped in the Angry Boss sketch with Will Ferrell (two minute mark) and Pierce Bronson were her only memorable sketches to me before Palin.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've not been a fan of Jost, but I thought he and Che were better in the first show. Like they seem to have a goofy sort of camaraderie. I still don't think Jost is a world-beater, and I think Strong-Che would have been better, but that aspect of the show is getting better to me.

Not so good - Leslie Jones in so god damn much stuff. Harry Met Sally sketch was good, but it and her whole schtick is dampened when she's just screaming loudly in 3+ sketches over the course of the night. Plus, as I feared, the cast is so large that a bunch of people only got 5 minutes. Was Sasheer Zamata even on the show? Pete Davidson got a Weekend Update bit and was in the Millenials sketch. Bobby Moin, Kenan, Jay Pharaoh... The best performer last night was Kate MacKinnon, with Hilary Clinton the second best. (And I'm sure that set off a wonderful shit storm on the Internet, since SNL was stumping so hard for her.) Even Miley, I'm normally a fan of hers on the show, but they just had her do the lowest hanging fruit kind of stuff.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Sasheer was in the 1950s talkshow sketch and I think she was Lenny Kravitz in the monologue.

I think new guy may have had some of the most appearances.

And Taran's Trump was awful. Would it have been to much trouble to have just given it to Hammond since he's already reprised his Clinton a couple times.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just not funny.
    My favorite item was the Kyle Mooney-Miley Cyrus bit at the end. Not laugh-out-loud funny, but I liked it.

I was also surprised that I liked Cyrus' second song, just her and the piano.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fairly amazing that a live Hillary couldn't make the opening skit ahead of a Trump impersonator.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They can make fun of Trump.
    They won't make fun of Hillary.

Draft saved Draft deleted