1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2015 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 5, 2015.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Greinke doing his part to make the NL Cy Young Award a tough call. He has given up just one run through eight innings against the Padres in his final start of the regular season. Not sure if he's going to pitch the ninth.. His ERA stands at 1.66 for the season.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

While I understand the logic, I don't truly understand why postseason statistics aren't counted in career aggregate stats. A meaningful game played is a game played.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

And what's this... despite trying not to claim the league's best record with some of his lineup decisions since clinching the AL Central, Ned Yost and the Royals can claim ALCS home-field advantage with a win or TOR loss Sunday.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here we are, the final day of the regular season.

Man, the Mets were 2 up on the Dodgers early in the week. Were going to luck out and avoid 2 twilight games against Greinke and Kershaw, get 'em at home at night instead, but they really shit the bed this week. (But because everyone keeps saying that, watch the Mets will win those first 2 games ... because.)

If the Cubs and Bucs tie, who gets the wild-card game at home?

Yanks, Angels, Rangers, Astros ... I'm going with Yanks and Astros to emerge.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Gammons needs to stop. Trucks didn't win 20 in 1951. He won 20 in 1953. And his ERA was below average in 1952.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Head to head is the first tiebreaker when the two wild card teams have the same record.

Who wins the West?

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if they don't win today he and Moore need to be fired.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yanks and Rangers are already in, it's just a question of where. Yanks are currently the first wild card and Rangers are AL West leaders with identical 87-74 records.

If the Yankees and Rangers both win, the Angels are eliminated, the Rangers win the West, the Yankees are the first Wild Card and the Astros are the second.

If the Rangers and Yankees lose, they'd both drop to 87-75, opening room for the Astros to beat Arizona and finish at 87-75, eliminating the Angels. The Astros and Rangers would then have a one-game playoff to win the West, with the loser then facing the Yankees in the Wild Card game (not sure who would host).

If the Astros lose, they drop into a tie with the Angels for the second Wild Card, and I think they'd play one game to gain the playoff spot, correct? Rangers win the West.

I think this is all correct.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Blue Jays, with a shot at home field, are starting Mark Buehrle today for two innings to get him to 200. Imagine if he gets shellacked and the Royals lose.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Phil Hughes thinks that's cool too.

Draft saved Draft deleted