1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

This here is Carmella, and she's hotter than hell. And you can't ... teach ... that!

And here's Eva Marie. She's the drizzling shits, as you can see. And you can't ... teach ... that!

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That injury happened last night in Nashville, and it looked pretty bad.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Sucks for Carmella. Shit that's depressing.

RE: WCW....who knows how things would be in 2014-15. Maybe they would've found some creative at some point. Maybe they would've brought in Paul E. when he had his falling out with Vince, which might've created another war at the height of the repetitive Cena thing....I do think that discounting the idea that TNT and TBS were bent on remaking their image and that there were execs that wanted wrestling to be no part of it is silly.

Nitro was garbage at the end with Hogan and Flair in Yappippi Indian Strap matches and they were still pulling ratings in the 2's...

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be both. Vince waited until those contracts expired, and I believe the wrestlers were getting paid for sitting at home. He could have bought the contracts, but then he would have had to pay them. If I'm remembering right from Flair's book, he had gotten a call from Jim Ross after the sale asking if he was ready to work. Flair said he was, then he said he didn't hear from them for a long time, which he chalked up to the contract.

As far as it being a legal thing, I'm not sure, but it sounds plausible.

5. Baron Scicluna

Bischoff had gotten some investors together, and a sales price had been agreed upon. Then, literally within a couple of months the plug was pulled on the show and Bischoff backed out. I found this Media Life story from January of 2001 detailing the Bischoff (Fusient) sale. It's an interesting read.

www.medialifemagazine.com:8080/news2001/jan01/jan08/5_fri/news2friday.html

Then on March 19, the Turner company announces they're dropping wrestling, and Bischoff backs out. Vince buys it for relative peanuts on March 23 and the final Nitro aired March 26.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/19/b...ling-in-first-decision-by-its-new-chief.htmlt

Plus, in April, ECW went out of business. It really was a fascinating few weeks.

6. JimmyHoward33

IIRC Paul said on his recent DVD/special that ECW losing the TV deal was a big part of their folding and that WCW being unable to find TV made his job more difficult. I don't remember why USA didn't scoop up either of them when the E left for TNN.

It's odd though, I lost track of WWE during college because the dorms didn't get TNN. I wonder if I would've watched one of the others if they stayed on TNT or got taken by USA.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Didn't ECW have a TV deal for a hot minute around that time? I seem to remember them being on TNN or something. Maybe they got dropped when TNN picked up WWE?

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I know everyone likes to rag on Carmella's in-ring ability, but she is genuinely one of the nicest people to the fans. Hope she gets better soon

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Before Raw starts - Anyone else watch the network special this weekend? It wasn't anything special, just some decent in-ring stuff. I think they might have done the same exact finish in the tag match at it that they did for Night of Champions, which was kind of odd. Cage match between Rollins and Cena was really neat, with Rollins doing some unique things with the cage I hadn't really seen before. (Vaulting off Cena's back to the cage, then using his feet to swing the door into his face.)

As usual, the divas stuff was weird. Paige was reluctantly involved in a tag match with Charlotte and Becky. Charlotte had Nikki Bella in the figure eight, but Paige did a blind tag because she wanted the pin. She squabbles with Charlotte, which allows Nikki to recover and to rally. After a bit more fighting, Paige tries to tag out, and Charlotte and Becky do the "Sid Justice" tag move and just abruptly come off the apron and deny the tag. Aren't they supposed to be the babyfaces? Isn't Paige supposed to be the petulant whiner? Instead, it just made her seem sympathetic.

10. Baron Scicluna

There was more weird Divas stuff tonight. Nattie made Paige tap out to the Sharpshooter after earlier getting it on her and having her get to the ropes. But the second one came after a reversed roll-up, so it kinda came out of nowhere with no buildup. Not only a weird finish, but why have Paige tap out when she's the heel that should be the focus one division right now?

Then they did a Bella vs. Team Bad 6-person in which Bad were the babyfaces because Nikki was wearing a Yankees hat in Boston. Yep.

11. JimmyHoward33

Speaking of faces that make no sense.......I'd thought Rollins break with the authority was going to be his face turn, but now Steph is getting face pops?

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Her and Triple H haven't really been acting like heels for a while now, ever since Rollins said he didn't need their help. Since then, they've let Kane go crazy on Rollins, and haven't made an attempt to defend him from Lesnar, Sting and others, like with a new J&J or something. I think they're angling for Triple H vs. Rollins with the latter still as the heel.

Draft saved Draft deleted