1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report's Advanced Program in Sports Media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Anonymous135, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

I'm sorry am I not allowed to change my opinion? Oh I forgot where I was posting.

2. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

Exactly.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dammit. My plan to throw everyone off the trail so I can snag Bleacher Report's not-a-job has been exposed.

4. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

knowing the guys on here, I wouldn't doubt that it was true.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. DSzymborski

DSzymborski Member

While we all made fun of BR some years ago, I would not hesitate to recommend a good writer from there. King Kaufman and others have done a lot of work to make it more respectable. I doubt my editor would chuck someone's resumé in the bin because of the BR line.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I doubt it's because they're applying for the same job. The cyncism has sunk in pretty deep with some.

But let me say this: In the case of Bleacher Report, the fact that it's doing better work now - and it most certainly - is, in a sense, a kind of insult. Because what B/R did, in most cases, was just go out and buy good writers from other journalistic sources to lend it credibility. In other words, it creeped to the top with SEO manipulation and using workers for mostly free, but, when it got there and inked a deal with Turner, well, then, it had to get respectable, and it couldn't very well tap all the writers it had used over the years, could it? Those writers weren't good enough. So it went out and bought people who learned at shops where they were paid respectably enough and were mentored, in many cases, by other people also getting paid respectably well.

This rankles the shit out of people, because B/R swallowed up local traffic of Web sites with SEO and horsecrap slideshows - which hurt respectable news-gathering engines - then hired from those same news-gathering engines it hurt once they needed to actually put on a suit and go to a nice restaurant.

And there's something shitty about that. Lacking integrity. And as sort of broken as this place is and has been over the last decade, you'll find, underneath all that, is a cockeyed sense of integrity.

I suspect that's what you're running up against.

Mr. Mediocre likes this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Judging from ptierney's post, if it hasn't changed much since then, anything you learn you are going to have to teach yourself.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. TurnTwo2

TurnTwo2 Member

While I disagree with the idea of editors tossing out resumes that might include some work for B/R on it, I would not go anywhere near that company after how they treated so many of the writers whose unpaid work they made millions on, as others have detailed in this thread already.

11. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

Here's what I'd like to know: How many top-notch writers has B/R developed themselves? It feels like all of their legit writers are ones they've hired away from other big-name publications. Doesn't seem like they encourage/allow for much growth for writers that start at the bottom in these programs.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab and say ... zero.

Draft saved Draft deleted