1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't access SJ

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Songbird, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The site is so slow somedays, and I still can't access it on my Samsung while on Wifi.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Not sure why, but neither browser at home can load it. Firefox or Chrome.
    Works here at work fine though (using Firefox)
    I've cleared cashe, restarted and rebooted to no avail.

3. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

I switched the site over to a new server last week that had double the CPU cores and double the memory capacity. My server logs show that since the move, the site is loading 5%-15% faster for 95% of visitors.

For problems accessing the site on a mobile phone, most likely your mobile provider hasn't updated to the new server address behind the scenes--this is very common with mobile phone providers who heavily cache server addresses for up to several weeks (even though I specifically set it so they're supposed to recheck the server address every 5 minutes). There's nothing I can do there other than wait it out for your mobile providers to update their DNS cache.

@spikechiquet - I also moved the site back to www.sportsjournalists.com from the non-www version to fix a few other small issues that were cropping up. Try manually typing that in on your home browser and see what happens? If you get redirected to the non-www version, then the problem is that Chrome/Firefox still have the old www to non-www redirect cached. IIRC, they'll keep it cached til the end of time, so likely you'll need to reset more browsing data in chrome. If you don't get redirected to the non-www version, and you stay on the www version, then it's something else... since you're on desktop, and not mobile internet, rare that a desktop ISP will cache longer than 24 hours unless they're told to by the website. Who is your internet provider?

4. spikechiquet

UVerse.

Tried again today and it just timed out on me. I will try to clear the cache when I get home and try again.

Fingers crossed!

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Can't access the site via my home's wifi on Google Chrome.

6. spikechiquet

My wife is a computer tech and is flummoxed. No device in our house can access it.
    Cleared cache; reset a bunch of stuff...maybe reset wifi? That may be next choice
    We have tried her Kindle (Silk); my iPhone (all browers); our mac (Chrome, Firefox) and my old laptop.
    All of them timeout before getting to the site.
    At work, my phone and desktop can access them through Firefox and Chrome.

7. Jeff

@spikechiquet Thanks for checking. Weird.

Have her try a 'traceroute www.sportsjournalists.com'. Just run that command from the Mac terminal. It'll show the ping times to the various servers in between your computer and the SJ server... can help isolate whether the bottleneck is your router, ISP, someone intermediate, or the SJ server.

Can you also try 'dig www.sportsjournalists.com'? It'll show which DNS server is giving you the results, and where it currently points... If you can PM me the results of both commands, either text or screenshot, then I can diagnose further.

spikechiquet likes this.
  8. spikechiquet

I'll have her do this tomorrow night. Thanks!

9. Songbird

3 GD weeks and I can't access this place with home wifi.

10. spikechiquet

Same here. Wife has been busy with kiddo's bday stuff to check out possible problems. So only can check when at work.

11. Jeff

I've triple-checked and there's nothing wrong with the server or DNS routing. I've tried a number of external services, and they all report everything is fine accessing the server--for example: downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.sportsjournalists.com

These issues are almost certainly caused by DNS caches in your ISP, your home router, or your device that still have the old IP address from the last server before I migrated. Since it's been this long, I suspect it's your home router DNS cache as your ISP should have updated their caches by now. You can verify it's the router and not the device by using the device both at home and at work and if it works one place but not the other then the cache issue is most likely in the router. @spikechiquet if you can get your wife to run those commands we can verify where the issue is... should take her less than 5 mins as they're simple diagnostic output where she just types in the commands and copies/pastes the output.

The way to reset your home route DNS cache depends on the router... I'm guessing you've already tried power cycling the device, make sure to power cycle your modem as well as it could also be the source of the bad cache. If power cycling aka soft reseting doesn't do it, then you may have to either do a hard reset or login to the admin panel and figure out where the DNS setting are and play around with them... it really depends on the model of the router and not something I can easily walk you through from a distance.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    spikechiquet likes this.
  12. Songbird

I can get on with computer and wifi at home. It's my Galaxy 5 and I'm not going to tinker with its guts. Gotta be a simpler way.

Draft saved Draft deleted