1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Columbus, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports editor wanted

Date Posted September 14, 2015
    Industry Newspapers / Wires
    Location Columbus, Indiana
    Position Editor
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Not Specified
    Website http://therepublic.com

Description:
    The Columbus (Indiana) Republic is seeking an energetic sports editor who has the drive and skills to direct coverage and write sport stories. Candidates must have innovative coverage ideas, focus on the local community and have excellent judgment and planning skills. Must be able to do and develop in-depth enterprise, breaking news, features stories and daily stories. Looking for a leader who can come up with original story aideas that connect with the reader and take our sports section to the next level. We want to own high schools sports. This is a great newspaper company to work for. Send resume and clips to: ssyse@hnenewspapers.com

2. Tyler Thompson

Tyler Thompson New Member

I submitted condensed portfolio Sept. 17 and would love to know more specifics. Number of high schools in coverage area, pay, relocation assistance?

3. Two major high schools in town who are rivals. You'll be accused of being a homer for one within days of working there.

One small county school with really solid basketball program...a bit of a throwback in an area more focused on football.

Great place to live. Family friendly, but also not bad at all for a young single person.

Pay somewhere in upper 30s/low 40s I'd guess.

Can't say enough bad things about the newsroom. Let's call a spade a spade. The name you're sending your clips to is notorious for being impossible to work with and the publisher isn't known for being much better.

I had a decent experience working here. I left about five years ago. Others I worked with didn't fare as well. Spent a night out in town just last month with some guys from down there and "toxic" is the word used to describe the newsroom.

Maybe someone more recent can shed more light on it, but I feel safe in saying this isn't a "great company to work for"

4. Tyler Thompson

Tyler Thompson New Member

Thanks for the heads-up!

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

What happened to Jay Heater?

Draft saved Draft deleted