1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here's what fast food will cost with $17 an hour wages

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Doom and gloom, Jul 31, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ragu, McDonald's is not too big to fail. That's business. They've had a nice run.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Won't somebody think of the stockholders?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

From somebody who had his calvarium up his rectum.

4. doctorquant

Was there supposed to be a point here?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, they should have been more supportive of aborted lions.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's not obvious, actually.

If a meal cost 4.45 vs 4.75? That's still a $5 bill.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Are we running job cost calculations on all the other money-wasting events across the business world, or are we just morally ringing our hands when fast food workers make a little extra?

McDonald's could start making its hamburgers with lizard shit, not sell a one, and shutter the whole franchise, and you can bet some Grimace in a suit would chalk it up to the burdens of government regulation.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. joe king

joe king Active Member

A small increase in price does make a difference -- at least, it does for this consumer. I used to visit a certain fast food place about once a week for lunch. I'd buy two of an item, which cost me about $3.25, including tax. When they raised the price and my order started costing $3.65, it wasn't worth it. I still go there at times, but I go much less often, and when I do I either get only one of that item, or I get lower cost items.

There's another place I would go about once every three or four weeks, where my typical order was a little over $5 with tax. When that price went up to the $5.60-$5.70 range last year, I stopped going there. I've been back once since.

Every consumer has a price where the purchase simply doesn't seem worth it anymore. For fast food, that price point would seem to be pretty low.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No doubt some people will stop buying Big Macs if they cost 30 cents more.

That could, however, be evened out by a legion of people who can afford Big Macs for the first time because they're making a living wage.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That works, for sure. We definitely need someone smart who can whip up and implement a plan that mandates a living wage for everyone. Imagine the boost to aggregate demand that would create -- and all of the economic activity we can spur by legislating people's behavior (rather than allowing them to make wrong choices for themselves).

But my question is, why stop at what we are talking about? Can't we centrally plan it better than that, to make things even more fair.

I mean for starters, I'd mandate that the minimum wage be raised to $2,000 an hour. Wouldn't that be an even greater net positive impact than what we are talking about?

But to keep people from being greedy -- always a problem -- we are going to need to put in another regulation that limits everyone to working only one week a year.

But that is great, I figure, because people will have more time to spend with their families. People are way too overworked (unfairly) the way things are, and we can fix that too.

My way, everyone will earn an $80,000 a year salary, and that is certainly fair. ... and it's a living wage (and imagine all the Big Mac sales this will create).

Even better, rather than hoarding a job for the entire year, we have now turned one job into 52 jobs. ... with everyone earning a living wage.

All I see are net positives here.

doctorquant likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

12. doctorquant

Rags, I really think you're on to
    something there. When you've finished fleshing out the details, let's get you started on that perpetual motion machine we've been struggling with.

Draft saved Draft deleted