1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walt Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, and his bow and arrow are about to have an interesting week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jul 28, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The bootstrapper is accepting personal responsibility, right?

In a statement, Mr Palmer told Colorado News the authorities had yet to contact him and added he did not know the lion he had killed was a "local favourite".

"In early July, I was in Zimbabwe on a bow hunting trip for big game. I hired several professional guides and they secured all proper permits. To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled and conducted," he said.

"I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favourite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt.

"I have not been contacted by authorities in Zimbabwe or in the US about this situation, but will assist them in any inquiries they may have. Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."​

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think he is going to learn the lesson of "just because you are allowed to do something, it does not mean you should do something."

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I know dentists make a lot of money, but, Jesus, do they make this much? This guy hunts a lot.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dr Christian Szell

Liut and Neutral Corner like this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Would I be wrong in assuming your Facebook friend recently had some sort of rainbow as their profile pic?

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

OK, second reference to this, and I'm confused. Why? (no is the answer by the way).

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

So this is what the $400 for a 45-minute procedure goes to.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I read somewhere the animal was beheaded. Sure sounds fishy to me.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In the U.S., perhaps not, but it's fairly common in sub-Saharan Africa. These hunts are sold to raise money for conservation efforts, and they sometimes focus on aging alpha males who are no longer reproducing and prone to killing male cubs from other lines. Hard to tell if that's what was happening here, but the tactic of luring the lion off of protected land negates much if not all of the legitimacy in this hunt.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If you travel to a foreign country and pay $50,000 to shoot something, it should probably raise a red flag.

93Devil likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No, PETA is calling for the dentist to be beheaded.

Draft saved Draft deleted