1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Columbus Dispatch sold

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 3, 2015.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

They bought the Providence Journal recently, with the sale announced in July 2014 and finalized in September. Since then, they've done multiple layoffs / buyouts, and doubled the newsstand price.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Bye bye Columbus. Gatehouse is a disaster.

Clippers Logo likes this.
  3. OscarG

OscarG New Member

I left a daily newspaper last year and now work for Gatehouse. It's not so bad, and I think design hubs are already exploding around the country. It's a way to save money for the paper.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I don't know how these chains are saving money if their design hubs are exploding.

Fire bad!

Clippers Logo and steveu like this.
  5. Clippers Logo

Clippers Logo New Member

It's also a way to put competent designers and copy editors out of work. GateHouse hires young, inexperienced people to fill those design jobs in Austin. And fails to train them.

Many of the chain's papers look worse than they did one year ago. And if your shop hasn't been hit with some big-time layoffs yet, believe me, it will.

GateHouse isn't about journalism. Not even about putting out a quality product. It's about profit. It's about slashing and burning. It's about Kirk Davis' bonus each December.

Rick Thorp and Cape_Fear like this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am waiting for the day when design hubs are opened in Manilla. I don't think it will be long.

7. Riptide

Sounds like a wet dream straight out of Quant's bible. </crossthread>

8. lostwages

lostwages New Member

It's bad if the company is interested in preserving the quality of local knowledge in editing, which GateHouse is not. How is someone on the desk in Austin who has never been to Las Vegas or Columbus or Providence going to catch errors relating to geography of those cities? Or when a reporter misspells a city councilman's name? Or when an overworked sports reporter slips up and writes the wrong nickname for a high school team?

It saves money by putting people who would have caught those mistakes out of work. If that's the goal - and I believe it is - mission accomplished.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'd be worried. As it notes at the end of the article, that's a big drop in space. If the company is moving to a building with 1/3 the space of the current, they'll either have to cut back on staff or make everyone work on desks the size of TV trays in the new building.

11. Riptide

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"No staffing changes will be made for at least three months."

Well, that's reassuring.

studthug12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted