1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Petersburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking sports editor

Date Posted June 11, 2015
    Location Petersburg, Virginia
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Negotiable

Description:
    We’re looking for a strong leader responsible for taking our local sports coverage beyond traditional prep games and who is well versed in digital and social media. The sports editor will work with a sports writer, freelancers, unpaid contributors, interns and community groups to cover prep sports, a growing Division II university, recreational leagues and everything else sports in the Tri-Cities.

The sports editor supervises one full-time sports reporter; and writes, and edits stories. We are looking for a leader that can take the sports to the next level for content and multimedia. This position requires a person who can communicate well, train and coach reporters, edit copy and grow our digital portfolio.

We seek a sports editor that upholds a web-first strategy, immediately reacting to news and quickly conveying it to readers and strives to reach readers on all mediums including our website, mobile platforms or in print. Also, someone who can prioritize alternative and non-linear storytelling, adding layers to our content

We seek an editor who will hit the dugouts for great daily game coverage and go beyond the outfield for those unique features and athlete profiles.

The Progress-Index is a 10,000 circulation daily newspaper that offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Petersburg is a historic town with a growing, vibrant arts community. We are two hours from the beaches and mountains and 2 1/2 hours from Washington, D.C.

Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and three years on a daily newspaper. Knowledge of still photography, video, Photoshop and social media are basic requirements. Send resume and cover letter, plus work samples to: Managing Editor Brian J. Couturier at editor@progress-index.com. No phone calls please.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Who left?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Punctuation skills optional; use of cliches and buzzwords mandatory.

4. Clippers Logo

Clippers Logo New Member

This paper also covers Richard Bland College. The men's basketball team won the JUCO Division II national championship last season, and the softball team spent most of 2015 ranked in the national poll.

Of note: GateHouse. All pages done at the central design desk in Austin.

5. Tidewater

Tidewater New Member

Spoke with a former staffer who recently left for a job at a local college. This is what he/she offered up:

Publisher was fired three weeks ago.
    Multimedia editor/lone photographer quit two weeks ago.
    Sports editor put in his notice last week.
    Major turnover in ad department, a constant theme.
    Managing editor is having trouble dealing with GateHouse expectations; appears to be on his way out. David Brent/Michael Scott type of guy who the staff doesn't respect.
    Sports is likely to be a one-person department soon, a common GateHouse theme at papers this size.
    When done in-house, this paper used to be somewhat respectable. GateHouse has an all-rookie team designing the pages in Austin now. Garbage is the result.

No phone calls please ... the ME is never in his office.

6. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

The GateHouse virus continues.

7. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

Actually, GateHouse openings need their own thread.

Potter and Clippers Logo like this.
  8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sad. I interviewed there way, way, way back in the day. Didn't get the job, but got called back shortly after I landed in a different shop, and was happy there. I always liked the product, and picked up a paper whenever I passed through. Too bad things have crashed to that point.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This used to be my "local" paper when I lived 20 miles south of Richmond. Used to do a very nice job in sports. May still, I haven't seen it in ages. The departing SE is a former colleague. Also used to work with the ME when he was in Richmond, so I'm surprised to read that about him. Area had some very strong sports among its local prep teams as well as Virginia State and Richard Bland. There's also one of those summer college baseball leagues there.

10. JBondurant804

JBondurant804 Member

Yeah the Coastal Plain League. The Petersburg Generals have been notoriously bad the last few years. Virginia State football, Richard Bland basketball, maybe the NASCAR races at Richmond International Raceway if you're up for it. Those are the big draws in that area. Petersburg, Prince George, Hopewell football is hit or miss, but Petersburg and Hopewell basketball are pretty good. They're definitely blossoming with the VHSL realignment.

11. Clippers Logo

Clippers Logo New Member

Dinwiddie won the 4A state title in football in 2013. Should be among the favorites next season.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

VSU basketball is lots of fun, if not always very good. Richard Bland didn't have sports when I was around there.

Draft saved Draft deleted