1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Hannibal, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking Sports Editor

Date Posted June 15, 2015
    Location Hannibal, Missouri
    Job Status Not Specified
    Salary Not Specified

Description:
    The Courier-Post in Hannibal, Mo. seeks a dynamic, driven sports
    editor. Responsibilities include generating meaningful,
    community-based sports content covering three area school districts,
    an inter-collegiate baseball team and alternative sports/outdoors.
    Candidate must be able to tell interesting stories with sports
    coverage, not just cover a game. Photography and videography are part
    of the job responsibilities. Page design experience a plus, but not
    required.
    Position is full-time with benefits. Submit resume and writing samples
    to Managing Editor Eric Dundon at eric.dundon@courierpost.com ."

2. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

this paper is small daily that prints on Tuesday through Saturday mornings.

this is NOT a good spot to go to. the previous managing editor was forced to retire early because the "new people' in the office wanted to change things. the new managing editor is a kid who doesn't know how to edit and doesn't even proof pages. he sends pages to press with mistakes daily, including major spelling mistakes on the front page headlines. anything that happens at night that is newsworthy, will never be in the paper as the ME leaves by 6:30 p.m. every night and you will be the last person in the office.

as for sports, he is killing off the coverage of the local schools, there are FOUR are schools, not three, so he can cover "alternative sports". the "inter-collegiate" baseball team is a summer wood bat baseball league for college players with hopes of being drafted to mlb. the ME has hired a recent college grad (paid per story) to cover the baseball team, but there hasn't been much coverage due to away games in being in other states.

years worth of working relationships with photographers are being ignored and deleted. the paper does NOT subscribe to AP photos, so you have to take your own photos for everything. also, don't believe the part about design "not required", it is. you will be designing your own pages. also, you will be required to produce photo galleries for online and videos for the website.

sports used to be three and sometimes four pages, but the new ME has cut it back to two. the pay is definitely not worth the time you have to put in to cover everything properly, correctly, and to do the job the right way.

3. Clippers Logo

Clippers Logo New Member

Owned by GateHouse, so big-time red flag there. Managing editor is only four years out of school.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Check out the guy's Facebook profile pic QUICK BEFORE IT GOES AWAY!!

5. Clippers Logo

Clippers Logo New Member

Yikes!!!

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This paper has been going downhill for quite some time and based on some of the information posted above, it appears to have reached an all-time low. The paper just up river is so much better. I'd be curious how Quincy sells in Hannibal.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I did. LOL! Thanks.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

bummer. I can't find it

Draft saved Draft deleted