1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Sioux Falls, SD

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

Date Posted June 05, 2015
    Location Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Negotiable
    Website http://argusleader.com

Description:

South Dakota’s leading news organization seeks an experienced journalist to cover South Dakota State University sports and the business of sports in our community. Argus Leader Media is looking for a reporter who understands that in a Division I environment, sports is intermingled with campus life, state culture and politics along with a business dynamic that goes beyond the field of play. Our sports reporters must be gifted storytellers. Argus Leader Media is committed to watchdog reporting across topics. Our reporters must be skilled in public records and understand policy as well as sports strategy. The reporter will be skilled in the use of digital reporting tools, including photo and video. The journalist will report for all platforms so experience in social media is a must.

Responsibilities Include:

• Cover South Dakota State University sports and sports-related policy.
    • Cover broader issues of business of sports and regional conference affiliations.
    • Using digital reporting tools, including photo and video, to tell the story.
    • Using social media to broaden our reach is required.
    • Engage with readers and regularly provide reporting that answers their questions.

Requirements:

• A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
    • A minimum of 2-3 years of journalism experience.
    • Must be a self-starter and a talented story teller who will work in collaboration with an experienced team of reporters.
    • Excellent grammar and writing skills along with the ability to multi-task and thrive in a deadline driven environment.
    • Valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and dependable transportation.

This is a full-time position with a day/evening schedule. This position is subject to post offer drug screens and satisfactory motor vehicle record check.

Argus Leader Media offers an excellent benefits package consisting of medical, dental, vision, HSA, life insurance, short-term disability, employee discounts, 401(k) with company match and domestic partner benefits.

Argus Leader Media is a part of Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI), an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties. Our portfolio of trusted brands offers marketers unmatched local-to-national reach and customizable, innovative marketing solutions across any platform. Gannett is committed to connecting people – and the companies who want to reach them – with their interests and communities.

Looks like you have to apply at the JJobs link.

2. JSkebba

JSkebba New Member

Anyone have anything to offer about the paper, job, area...?

3. FinsFan

FinsFan New Member

I grew up in Mitchell, SD as a kid. Sioux Falls is THE city of South Dakota -- the largest community, the concert stop (except Sturgis during the motorcycle rally). It has god shopping, restaurants and the cost of living in South Dakota is very reasonable. The SDSU beat mean spending a lot of time, or living, in Brookings, about an hour or so north of Sioux Falls on I-29. Eastern SD is farming, while western SD is ranching, tourism and several Native American reservations. The people are nice and friendly, most follow sports religiously and, if needed, the Twin Cities aren't too far away.

4. ericwbolin

ericwbolin New Member

Argus-Leader is Gannett, so yeah, typical warnings there (and typical bennies)

But agreed with FinsFan, Sioux Falls is wildly, wildly underrated town. Spent two of my college internships there. Really dig it.

5. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

I'll echo a bit of what FinsFan and Eric said. Sioux Falls is an underrated city. Lots to do there, and the athletic facilities are outstanding. Also, it's four-ish hours from the Twin Cities and a little less than three from Omaha. That said, SDSU is an hour away in Brookings, so you'd get real familiar with Interstate 29.

This job also covers sports business, something the paper has been pushing more and more in recent years. The last SDSU beat writer (Terry Vandrovec, who was phenomenal, I might add) also covered the Sioux Falls SkyForce, an D-League team.

Like many Gannett papers, and I guess just papers in general, it's had some layoffs. In the fall it went through the "newsroom of the future" reorganization/cutbacks, which saw it lose a 30-hour-per-week part-time preps writer and a sports copy editor. And the former sports editor, Stu Whitney, was moved to city columnist, so there is no sports editor or "sports content coach" as far as I know. I believe the current sports department is a USD beat writer, a USF/Augustana (two D-II schools) writer and a preps writer. There's also a USHL team, minor league baseball team and an indoor football team that get covered.

SDSU is a great beat, though. Football team is an FCS playoffs regular, men's and women's basketball teams are always toward the top of the Summit League and baseball is also competitive.

Draft saved Draft deleted