1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooperstown suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Jun 6, 2015.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR and I are going to Cooperstown, NY next weekend for the Avett Brothers concert at Ommegang Brewery and I figured this would be the best source for what to there AFTER the Baseball Hall of Fame. Whadda ya got?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I enjoyed my time at the Doubleday Cafe. Still use the beer glass I got there.

HC likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There are a couple other museums, such as the Farmer's Museum, which is what it says, and the Cooper Museum, which is an art one.

There is also the lake, which can be used for boat tours.

Also, paying a visit to Doubleday Field is pretty cool, even if there is no game of any sort. It's down the street a few blocks from the HOF.

HC likes this.
  4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Quick lunches at Manny's, a great sandwich shop and market across from the hof.

My favorite restaurant, Alex and Ika, just closed but it's owners opened a Mexican restaurant in its place. No doubt it's excellent.

Avoid the Cooperstown Diner. Cramped and the food and service aren't very good. It's nowhere near as charming as it looks.

Lots of free sampling at Fly Creek Cider Mill about 5 minutes west of town.

HC likes this.
  5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

There is no other breakfast buffet better than the one at the Otesaga Hotel. Enjoy the bran muffins.

HC likes this.
  6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

There's the Glimmerglass Opera and grounds The Glimmerglass Grounds: Picnics, Walking Trails and Summer Opera in Central NY

and the Fenimore Art Museum Fenimore Art Museum

Back when my division at work was much smaller, we had annual meetings in Cooperstown. Sitting in a rocking chair on the porch of the Otesaga, looking out at the lake, is lovely any time of the day. I've gone canoeing on the lake but I'm sure there are other boating options.

There used to be two bars in town, right across from each other. It was very inexpensive to drink at both. One had an awesome jukebox.

HC likes this.
  7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Sadly, none of my friends are at Glimmerglass this year. The Otesaga looks beautiful but out of our league. We stay at the kind of motels where you park in front of your door. :)

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I bet if you walk in the main entrance and walk on back to the porch, no one will ask for your room key.

I never knew there were walking trails, etc at the Glimmerglass. Wish I had.

Also, I think the our impressions of the quality of the jukebox were directly related to the amount of alcohol we consumed in those bars.

HC likes this.
  9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I second Doubleday Field, it's a really fun place to visit. There's a wax museum on the main street that my wife and I enjoyed when we were there last and it's fun to check out some of the many memorabilia shops in town. The farmer's museum looked like quite a sizeable place too. We would have liked to have checked out the lake and some of the recreational opportunities offered there. There was pro ball down in Oneonta, but I think it's gone now. Also, if you're into Civil War history, there's an impressive monument by what we thought was city hall.

Food-wise, we really liked Sal's Pizza on the main street and we really didn't like the All-American Cafe - we found it really overpriced for what you get. If you're looking for inexpensive lodging, we stayed at the Major League Motor Inn in Fly Creek. Our room was nice, it was considerably less than the hotels in town (many of which were booked for baseball tournaments) and it was about a five-minute drive to the hall.

HC likes this.
  10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Howe Caverns is pretty cool, but unfortunately it's 45 minutes from Cooperstown.

HC likes this.
  11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

If you're coming to Cooperstown by way of I-88, stop at Brooks BBQ. Exceptional chicken, served very quickly and inexpensively. They have other stuff, like rubs and sausage, but the chicken is always excellent. www.brooksbbq.com

HC likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I second Howe Caverns. If you just want to go for a scenic drive in the country, it's a good destination, and the tour is fun. Just bring a sweatshirt or a light jacket because it gets cold down in the caves.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted