1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media members angry about Steph Curry bringing his daughter to press conference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kayaugstin Kott, May 20, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The "availability" is an obligation. Not providing a distraction-free environment, or even answering questions in a certain way.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If you're a journalist, and that's the way you look at a press conference, then there's a little self-hatred going on there.

Then again, that is SOP these days.

Damn, this stance is becoming easier to defend by the page.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Brady should have sat upon Belichick's lap at the Patriots presser.
    Tommy could be cute again, and the story would shift to Belichick's deflated balls.

4. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

NBA writ
    What does this have to do with NBA pressers?

5. MisterCreosote

Actually, the way I view press conferences, especially sports press conferences, is that they generate 95 percent useless bullshit.

As others have said, there's a way overinflated sense of self worth at play here if you think the "questions" you ask at a press conference would generate anything 1/10th as interesting as what happened with Curry's daughter.

6. Riptide

There's an NBA team in Boston.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, see, Curry is a spice, and so is Old Bay, and Old Bay goes on seafood, and Boston has fine seafood.

Easy-peasy.

8. Riptide

If you can't see it, you must not be not looking hard enough. Focus!

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Exactly. Miserable jadedness multiplied. A bunch of Job's wives.

10. MisterCreosote

I hope the 2-year-old understands memes:

[​IMG]

11. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

I'm probably not the only one here who does it, but I make it a point to watch post-game pressers just for my own education. I'm a lukewarm NBA fan, but I love it when the playoffs arrive because Sports Center always broadcasts the pressers. I know: I am a sad individual.

When I saw Curry with his daughter during the presser, I immediately thought to myself, "Wow, that's gotta be tough on the writers." Don't get me wrong: it was a cute moment. But our thought-processes, as journalists, are completely warped when we're on deadline. And that's what struck me. All those guys and gals who've gotta hurry up file probably didn't appreciate it. We're all on single-track minds when the clock is ticking.

It challenged my thinking of what I'd do if I was there trying to write the story on deadline. As it was happening, I felt for the writers. It was not the ideal situation. I may have actually winced a couple of times. Taking a step back, and reading through some of the responses here, I think the only course of action is to incorporate it into the story. For me, it was a teaching moment. When things don't go as planned, adjust. That's not easy for many us to do (myself included), especially on deadline. But that's all we can do. Otherwise, we all look bad when we're complaining about a dad, regardless of celebrity, who's just spending time with his daughter.

12. This thread is severely disappointing.
    Kudos to Alma.

Draft saved Draft deleted