1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Stanley Cup playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

The Crapitals strike out again. About three years ago, a friend of mine suddenly became a Capitals hockey fan, and really following the postseason, even paying a lot to go to a few games. My advice to him then was: watch out, this team can break your heart. Enjoy it, but expect heartbreaking failure.

So, I didn't hear a peep out of him this whole postseason. I think after three fanatic years, he learned.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It only took them three? I've been living it for 30. Choking fucking dogs. Fuck.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Now, my question is this: Which is the real Rick Nash? The speedy, goal-scoring machine from the first three-quarters of the regular season, or the shadow who's virtually disappeared in the playoffs.

I hope the former incarnation shows up tomorrow afternoon, because I'm not sure the Rangers beat Tampa without him.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Here we go. Conference finals, one game a day for about 2 weeks. I'm certainly not used to having a hockey game start before I've had coffee.

6. ChrisLong

The Ducks held off the Blackhawks' opening surge then took over the game midway through. "Untested" goalie Freddie Andersen would have had a shutout if the Ducks' most reliable defenseman, Francois Beauchemin, hadn't fumbled the puck and had it taken away by Brad Richards, who scored the only Blackhawks goal late in the second. Ducks won the battle on defense and bottom 6 forwards.
    If some of the game stories in tomorrow's papers are a little off-kilter, it's because there was a rap music fest at Honda Center on Saturday night. Reportedly, the press box still reeked of "herb" on Sunday afternoon.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Andersen could use some of that herb ... he's probably pretty sore after blocking all those Blackhawk shots.

Ducks were the more physical team, and as you noted, without the giveaway to Richards, it's a shutout. Round one of the Kesler-Toews matchup goes to the man in black.

8. ChrisLong

Two evenly matched teams played a 5-hour hockey game last night. Blackhawks get a 3-2 win in third OT. Ducks need to win one in Chicago now.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can take solace in the fact that Tampa probably would have worked the Caps 4-1 in an ECF had Washington won the Rangers series. Who put cement in the skates of the NYR D last night? Lundqvist wasn't good, but his defensemen were atrocious, especially McDonagh, who just sort of watched Kucherov skate in unfettered for the game winner. Lost count of how many times Tampa had a guy WIDE open in front of the net. Lightning are set up to be good for years, too. Obviously, there's no point in counting the Blueshirts out until a series hits 4, but damn, the Bolts have skated circles around them the last two games.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Tampa has been really impressive. They move the puck really well and they are playing much quicker than the Rangers. The Rangers didn't lose the last two games, as much as they were beaten, if that makes sense. Yesterday, even if they had won -- they were flat out outplayed. The only reason they were sitting in overtime with a chance was that despite the really poor play, they got incredibly fortunate. The OT goal was frustrating. Minutes before, Lundqvist stopped a breakway. Then he gives up a goal on that? It's hard for me to rip him, because they aren't where they are without him, but he has not handled that attack very well the last two games. I am back to "cursing Rick Nash." Tampa's top two lines, especially the Johnson, Palat, Kucherov line, are skating ridiculously well. The Rangers have no shot unless their top players can force some action and keep Tampa honest. Where is Nash? Also, AV is relying way too much on Marty St. Louis and Dan Boyle (even if he did get the tying goal), and it is killing me. St. Louis looks slow, and having him on the power play makes no sense -- he is killing them. Boyle pushes it offensively, but he single-handedly gives the other team one or two goals a game with his mistakes. It's not worth the tradeoff.

11. ChrisLong

Tampa-NYR games: First one to 5 goals wins ... maybe.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Blackhawks were up 3-1 , looking great.

Then Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take 4-3 lead. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted