1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buying an engagement ring, need advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beef03, May 13, 2015.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think the solitaire vs. multi-stone is a style preference deal. The solitaire worked for me, because some smaller stones were in the wedding band to compliment it when the two were put together.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I got lucky. My now-wife just showed me the ring she wanted.

Of course, that's also how I learned I was getting married....

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I told Craig I'd be buying the engagement ring. There was no point in putting him through the torture of picking out a ring and risking getting it wrong. It did bruise his ego but I think he saw my point.

But back to the issue at hand - from Beef03's description, it sounds like a round diamond in white gold is the safest bet. Round is classic and will never go out of style. The most important thing is clarity and sparkle. If you have to choose between small and sparkly v bigger and not as clean looking and not so sparkly, stick with the smaller one. Unless you are thinking about future resale value, I wouldn't even care about flaws that can only be seen through a loop if, when you look at the stone, to the eye it appears clear and you see lots of light flashing off the facets.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Congrats, Bro. I'm useless in this discussion. But who ya' got, Blackhawks or Ducks??

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Amy, thank you, I will keep that in mind regarding size v clarity. I was leaning more towards a round cut, seems more classical and less flashy.

Chris, thank you. And I got the Blackhawks in six. This is the time of the year when they thrive, and if Crawford has figured out his game they will be tough to beat, they seem to be able to win regardless the style of play -- wide open, defence first or highly physical. Should be a great series through, the Ducks are one heck of a team, would not surprise me if Anaheim wins it. Regardless, I think the West Final will give you your Cup champ.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I worked with a private, small jeweler, and got a lot of advice from a friend's mother in law who is very much into diamonds. The woman has her own loupe.

Anyway, got a very nice stone at my price that met my grading and size criteria.
    After purchase, it appraised for 20% more than I paid.

Jeweler made me a white gold Tiffany ring (we like simple) for a few hundred, and boom.
    From start to finish took me four weeks. I looked at three stones before deciding.

As for bands, same go made us a nice simple set of white gold bands for a few hundred a piece.

Done and done.

However, best advice is still: Don't do it.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The difference in silver and the other metals you mentioned (white gold and platinum) is that silver tarnishes while the other two do not. Silver requires a lot more upkeep to look new and shiny, especially with every day wear. Don't go with silver for a wedding band.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My wife didn't want a stone, still doesn't want a stone. We got matching bands (same style, different color).

Of course, I did wind up spending about $6,500 on a stone --- a kidney stone she had a couple of months ago. :(

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but kidney stones are a bitch. Worst pain I've had in my life - and nothing else has come close.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

When trying to figure out what she would like (especially for band color), a good thought is to look at what she already owns. While she's in the shower one day, go through her jewelry box and see what she has. If you're concerned about sizing, take one of her rings out and paper and pencil and trace the inside of it for the jeweler. Do NOT do what my friend did when he was getting ready to propose and ask a bunch of leading questions where only an absolute moron couldn't figure out what he was getting ready to do (He actually asked her what her ring size was. DUH.) if you want it to be a surprise.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Try to find a diamond wholesaler and, like mentioned above, focus on the stone. Once you get above one carat, the price increases exponentially. Find something in the middle of the road, as far as clarity and color, and get as big a stone as you can find. My wife likes the square cut.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yeah I had no choice but to ask her her ring size, but did so a while ago, doing the whole hand comparison thing. She has only one ring that I've ever seen, and I've never seen her take it off, even for showers. Last thing I want to do is get her a ring that's too small so she can't even wear it when I propose. The rest of my reconnaissance about jewelry -- mostly about things like necklaces, earrings, gem stones, but really mostly to get a feeling about her style -- was done while trying to figure out a birthday gift. She doesn't have a lot of jewelry, period, but says she does like it. Besides the info she gave me wasn't super helpful, note I am on here now looking for help haha, but was quite vague. But it's how I'll make sure it is still somewhat of a surprise, not going to bring jewelry up again with her instead relying more on her sister if I have more questions about her tastes. Her birthday is at the end of June, giving her almost two months to let it drift out of her mind and on it I will give her a necklace as a present to serve as much as a decoy as anything else, still make the day all about her. Then the next morning go for a walk with her and propose then, but with a few more things to it than just that. Have it all figured out down to the last detail already. Just have to pick out the ring, and I guess the necklace.

Regardless of how quiet I keep the talk of the ring with her, I don't think she will be surprised that I do propose, we talk openly and often about marriage and our future together, but I want the timing and the ring itself to be a surprise.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted