1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A freelance resource

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by GBNF, Oct 6, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Information on papers that cover Citadel, Florida Gulf Coast or North Carolina Central Men's Basketball?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And what about Florida Atlantic Football?

3. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Any help on U of Texas men's basketball that would need a stringer?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Instead of being a dick, I'll just make a suggestion. Most DI football and basketball programs have their media guides online. I generally open those up and just see what papers and sites cover the teams.

5. ero1177

ero1177 New Member

I'm Eric Olson, the SE at the Northwest Herald. Yes, we do cover Chicago's pro teams. With the exception of the Bears (who we travel with), we don't go on the road with the clubs much.
    We have used freelancers for road playoff games for the Sox at Tampa and the Blackhawks at Detroit this year.
    Generally, stringer-wise I'm looking for someone if it's a postseason game or there's another momentous angle for the hometown team.
    Also always looking for stories about McHenry County natives (towns like Crystal Lake, Woodstock, etc.) who are doing well in far-flung locales.
    I will listen to unsolicited queries (e-mail preferred). Can't promise I'll take you up on them, obviously.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Eric. Informative post. Anyone else who wants to share, please do. The freelance roster is growing every week, for better or worse.

7. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Here's everything I know about the Kansas City area:

Papers

Kansas City Star/Wichita Eagle, Lawrence Journal-World, Topeka Capital-Journal

Teams: Kansas City Chiefs, Royals, Kansas, Kansas State

Chiefs and Royals:
    Don't travel: Lawrence Journal-World, Topeka Capital-Journal

Kansas
    Don't travel: None.

Kansas State
    Don't travel: None, although the Star/Eagle is currently without a beat writer and may need short-term help.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Any info on the papers covering Arizona football? Maybe some of the smaller ones.... they visit Toledo this year...

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Anybody know what papers/sites, if any, cover St. John's baseball enough to be interested in a stringer for the NCAA tournament?

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Newsday. And sadly, that may be a stretch when it comes to baseball. That's really it.

11. Miller

Miller New Member

Probably it will be helpful for members of this forum. I know one useful hub for freelance writers. Check out freelancercareers. com. for more information about new job openings.

12. re2pectthehustl3

re2pectthehustl3 New Member

Anyone know about the NY, NJ, Philly or Boston areas? These cities are hotbeds for some of the most rabid fans and I have heard they are awesome places to be a journalist in.

Draft saved Draft deleted