1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN.com redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Apr 1, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice it yet?

Seems pretty OK to me so far. Still far better than the disaster that is SI.com.

2. krmcguire

krmcguire New Member

As with many redesigns, the focus appears to be on making things look good on mobile devices such as the iPad and iPhone. While this may take some getting used to, as any redesign does, I do wish there was a way sites could use their mobile-friendly layouts and have them only show up on mobile devices. Viewing sites like this on a desktop or my laptop are not always the most enjoyable experience. But that could just be me.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I find it to be way too busy when viewing on my laptop - I imagine it might be better in a one-column mobile format. It seems OK to me, but not much of an improvement.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I guess I'm one of the few people in the world that uses a phone for the purpose of talking to people, so I really don't have an interest in what this looks like on my iPhone. For my iPad and laptop, the only thing I really want on a news site is the headlines of the day in a location up top, so I'm not forced to scroll down. I'd much rather be able to see a home page load so, in 20 seconds, I can read the headlines to know if there's anything further I want to explore.

ESPN — fail.

5. krmcguire

krmcguire New Member

Of course, this is the thing. Sites do not redesign for journalists, they adapt for the masses. Right now, mobile trends are growing and growing, so it makes sense these types of redesigns are happening. But like I said, it would be nice if there was a way to get a version that was tailored to desktop/laptop viewing as well.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

There is a way to do that. My company's website does it, and we don't have anything near Disney money. Responsive design is a big deal these days, but you can absolutely detect devices.

Signed, a dude currently redesigning his company's website

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's great on a tablet.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

First reaction, PUKE!

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I don't mind it as much as I thought I would. It is a little busy, so my eyes don't really know where to focus. But I've found it isn't that hard to find the things I usually look for on the old site. It isn't as drastic as SI's redesign was. That one took me awhile to get used to and I'm still not a fan.

I do like the favorites column on the left, kind of a neat way to get the most recent headlines for your favorite team up "above the fold."

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And I'm not a fan. Looks like they told their designer to pick their favorite WordPress template and go with that.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just spent 15 minutes looking it over. IMO it's not pleasing to the eye, but no more difficult to use than old one.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

People generally hate all redesigns.

Draft saved Draft deleted