1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sheep is done and so am I

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

#SJLegacy

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Harley, if you are talking about your LeBron Durant comment, that was people responding. They responded with their rationale as to why, it wasn't any form of bullying.

Are you expecting people not to respond? If you feel strongly enough about it defend your position.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

When you disagree with someone on here, do you do it in a voice that wouldn't get you decked if you said those words IRL?

That's a good way of discerning the difference between message-board debate and trolling.

BDC99 and JC like this.
  4. JackReacher

How were you "bullied" on the NBA MVP thread, Harley? Seemed like a pretty good discussion to me.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

6. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I will say in Jeff's defense that running this site is no picnic. It's a delicate balance... like walking a tightrope. But the very nature of journalists is to be free-speech extremists and they don't like being told what they can and cannot say. This message board is like no other...

This has always been a great community but I don't miss the stalkers, threatening of lawsuits, copy cats and physical threats I used to get. It was exhausting.

old_tony, spikechiquet and Gutter like this.
  7. JackReacher

Physical threats? Seriously? Those people should be outed.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And arrested.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't play Sheep, so I almost missed out on this thread. So much drama!

I didn't know Versatile had been banned, but I was aware of Boom's banishment. I don't care for restrictions on topics, nor do I love permanently banning people. The tone has certainly improved around here, but there's no doubt the discussion isn't as robust as it used to be. There are long stretches of the day sometimes where no one writes a single post, which never used to happen. That said, I'd still prefer to read and post on this site than any other message boards. Been here for 12 years, I think, and it's part of my daily life.

Jeff likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I agree with you in principle, but some people are really boring in real life and their boringness clogs up threads.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh, goodness gracious, if you think you were "bullied" on that thread then I'd suggest you might be too thin skinned to be posting on this board at all. What I recall is a few posters (including myself) expressed disagreement with your description of Lebron's game and you basically declined to defend your position. The points made were basketball related, not personal, and fully within bounds.

I get the need to clean up the trolling, but jeez, don't let this place get too soft. Vigorous unbridled debate is what once made it so popular. Nobody should feel reluctant to challenge statements they regard as nonsensical.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.