1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fantasy Baseball 2015

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 9, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

OK, someone who knows way more about baseball can help me out here. I have these options. Give me the best at each position, please.

Catcher: Gomes, McCann, Wieters
    Third base: Headley, Ramirez, Alvarez
    Starting pitcher: Gio Gonzalez, Verlander

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

McCann -- catchers with a 26-96 average are too good to pass up.

Ramirez -- averages 69 XBH, 90 RBI, 35 SBs ... no-brainer ... and now he gets to play 81 games with the Green Monster.

Gio -- younger, stronger, upside.

3. JackReacher

Aramis Ramirez. This is a keeper league and I only kept four pitchers, so the pickings are slim.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Headley went 31-115 once so you'd like to think he can do it again. Still just his 7th year so plenty of upside.

Going into fresh 1st full season with the Yankees. I'd take a chance on him out of the 3.

5. JackReacher

Yeah, I took a look at Headley's season by season numbers. What the hell was with his 2012 season? Was he on something?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In one league, we had to have keepers in by March 1. Still not sure what the deadline is in the league with three keepers (we're getting a late start because the Commish's wife just had a baby).

Honestly, a few days before the draft is all the prep you really need. We generally do our drafts pretty late, no more than a week before the start of the season, so for me, it would be ideal to submit keepers no more than a week before that.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is my thought, too, but some of these guys are so stuck in their ways. It is so funny for me to say somebody else is overly stuck in their ways.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. outofplace

I think Headley has made it clear that his 2012 season was a fluke, but he can be somewhere in between that and what he was last year. I'd take him over Ramirez and Alvarez.

I'm not sure what to think of McCann at this point. The power will be there, but the shift hurts him badly. I might go with Gomes, who still seems to be getting better.

Definitely go with Gio Gonzalez over Verlander. It is not close.

9. JackReacher

Not close with Gio and Verlander? Maybe, but every set of projections I've seen have them very close in terms of wins, ERA, Ks, and WHIP.

10. outofplace

Maybe I overstated a bit, but I just don't see Verlander bouncing back. I know many projections disagree with me.

11. JackReacher

That's fair. And that's what I thought too, before I saw all those projections. Definitely intriguing. I like Gio as a number 4 starter. Less pressure. All that nonsense. Might try to snag both somehow.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Was a bit distracted drafting this team yesterday and went on autopick for a few. Had ninth pick out of 12.

Hitting stats: R, RBI, FPCT, AVG, OPS
    Pitching stats: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/BB

Here's my team.

C - Y. Gomes
    1B - J. Bautista
    2B - I. Kinsler
    3B - M. Carpenter
    SS - J. Peralta
    OF - A. Jones
    OF - C. Yelich
    OF - A. Eaton
    UTIL - H. Kendrick
    BN - A. Rios, B. Butler, R. Davis

SP - D. Price, J. Cueto, J. Zimmerman, P. Hughes
    RP - D. Robertson, F. Rodney, J. Nathan
    BN - D. Smyly, R. Porcello

So yeah, it's not THAT great but should be serviceable.

Possible roster moves...

1. Add another 1B instead of Butler and put Bautista in the OF. Available 1Bs are A. Lind, C. Headley, R. Howard, J. Loney, K. Vargas, M. Teixiera or K. Morales.

2. Drop R. Davis in favor of another starting pitcher.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted