1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I knew they were written off box scores. But it's the lack of context that gets me.

Leading scorer returns, leads team to victory after missing 10 games to save starving children in Africa: You get Xyz scored xx points as team beat other team.

A 5-foot-2 walkon scores 52 points to lead his team, you get the same formulaic lede that doesn't mention the unlikelihood of it all.

They're so devoid of context they might as well be computer-generated.

I'm sure it's a staffing issue, but if one guy is writing several dozen gamers off boxscores, just start with the computers already. That guy's probably not providing much that computers can't.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

More fun with SportsWatch, or, did no one tell him/her the Rays-Orioles series was shifted to St. Pete?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's also a goof in the NBA playoffs listings, with a 10:30 p.m. time and no game attached to it (there isn't one, but the time is still on there).
    And for the love of God, can we please get some ESPNU and SEC Network listings!? Wouldn't mind the Big Ten and Pac-12 Network offerings, either. They include college baseball and softball games for the FSN channels that are wrong at least half the time, but not the widely-carried cable channels that actually WILL carry the games.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, the SEC Network glitch is odd. I was once told the threshold for AP's vendor including a network in its listings was 50 million households. (Which at one time excluded the NFL Network.) Well, hell, SECN launched with nearly twice that.

5. HanSenSE

Seems like we were getting ESPNU during college hoops and football season, but no more. And, with the way FSN chops up the regional networks, I don't bother.

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Isn't it still technically considered a Orioles home series, though?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's actually not as big a deal for me during football and basketball season. Every week I go to LSU Football - Geaux Tigers!!! to get the full listings off of there, and type them up. Takes a few minutes, but then I can just run them all week, and it's a very comprehensive list that includes all of the smaller regional outlets.
    Baseball, which is big here in SEC country, is a different animal. The AP listings have the odd game on FS1, but then I have to go to three different web sites to get a full TV schedule.

8. HanSenSE

And, since I fix it every time I do the listings, my pet peeve: Fox is not an acronym, like NBC, CBS and ABC and should be down!

reformedhack likes this.
  9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

zap2it.com is really good about having the regional FSN channel lineups, especially during MLB and college season. The AP almost always lists college games as being on FSN, but they're not always on in my area.

Yes. Orioles will be home team each game. Rays players won't get to use their walk-up music, either.

What about the Xfinity series? Do you uppercase or lowercase that in the listings?

10. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

The AP schedule gets cross-checked with our quasi-FSN station's broadcast schedule. Sometimes they match up, but more often than not we aren't even getting the event. Sometimes it'll be a delayed airing, although if the delayed broadcast of some college softball game is airing at 4 a.m., we won't even bother listing it.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Because it's so hard to tell them apart ...

(actual AP caption) In this image released by CBS, President Barack Obama, left, appears with host David Letterman during a taping of "Late Show with David Letterman," on Monday, May 4, 2015, in New York. (John Filo/CBS via AP)

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Same goes for pictures of horses and trainers...I really don't need to know that the human on the left is giving the animal a treat.
    Pretty much figured that one out on my own.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted