1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Telecommuting Sports Writers/Reporters Needed

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Spencer Pulliam, Feb 26, 2015.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This sounds like it should be on the freelance help wanted thread.

Spencer, industry standard sounds great and all, but there have been countless listings on here just like yours that basically ask people to work for nothing, just to get the thrill of a byline or whatever. That dog doesn't hunt here, because for the most part this is a community of professional journalists. Sad as it may sound, the job posting really needs to say there is pay involved. If it doesn't, it generally receives the sort of replies you've received on here.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To echo Novelist, so many companies have devalued writing or decided they don't want to pay for writing. We're not cynics on here (well, most of us anyway...) and we're not asking for jobs that pay $50,000 a year, but something that could be a decent side gig will get positive response.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

There might not be any money, but covering some of those 6th graders might lead to being an agent in about 10 years

4. Spencer Pulliam

Spencer Pulliam New Member

That's too bad... but I appreciate the information.

To eliminate any further concerns, this job does pay (as in USD, not bylines) and we're looking for candidates hoping to supplement their incomes, initially.

If it is a good fit for both parties, we do hope to hire (salary) the 'right' people, but there will be a (compensation per submission) vesting period of sorts.

Hopefully this provides some clarity. Thanks!

5. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

That description implies the candidate will fill out a 1099 for pay purposes as an independent contractor/freelancer, not a W-2 as a full-time employee with benefits.

NCWriter likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like freelance to me. Moving it.

7. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

I've applied, I heard back from them, but no interview has been set up as of yet. About to give up on them.

8. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

same here. got an email on March 4 (last Wednesday) saying they would contact us in 24 hours for phone interview and would have those wrapped up by last weekend.

still waiting to be contacted. Not the best impression to leave.

Just saw it as an oppotunity to earn a little extra cash. Nice of them to leave folks hanging.

9. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

You know I use to think you guys were a bit rough on the people who would post jobs here, now i'm glad you are because you guys know who is legit and who is bsing us and i'm thankful for the lookout. It's obvious after reading the comments and seeing what other members are dealing with that this company may be full of it.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

when they don't follow up on what they say they are going to do, it gives them absolutely zero credibility as far as I'm concerned. They shouldn't have strung people along like they did.
    It was promising to get a response from them expressing interest. Their follow through leaves a lot to be desired.

11. bamabelle2k15

bamabelle2k15 Member

I agree. I've learned over the years that when a company does that, they aren't very reliable. I even called the guy to express interest, never heard back.

12. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

But you did indeed waste the time of at least two members of this board who took the time to apply for one of your positions. Both of us apparently got the same messages from you last week, one that said that we would be contacted in 24 hours. Does this ring a bell?

If you are receiving this email then you have recently applied for a writing, editing, or scouting/recruiting position at The Prep Insiders (www.theprepinsiders.com).
    I'm happy to inform you that we are strongly considering your application and are in the process of scheduling telephone interviews in order to separate the best candidates from the field.
    Included on this email are TPI managing principal Spencer Pulliam and TPI lead editor, Eric Hampford. Spencer will be conducting the initial round of interviews with those of you receiving this email and certain candidates will then be invited for a joint interview with Spencer and Eric at a later time.
    Individually, you will be contacted by our staff within 24 hours to schedule your initial interview. Please respond to our inquiries as soon as possible.

We hope to have the process completed by the conclusion of the weekend (3/8/2015) and begin assigning content as early as next week.
    Pay scale will be discussed during your interview. Should you have any other questions/concerns prior to your interview, please do not hesitate to contact our staff using staff@theprepinsiders.com.
    We appreciate your time and interest!
    Best,
    The Prep Insiders Team

So, thanks for nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted