1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still think Texas has never executed anyone who was innocent?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, May 15, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Which side are you scolding?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just tell me the warden who executed the innocent man didn't make O'Reilly's Pinheads section!

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120518/NEWS03/305180013/As-Kentucky-plans-execute-inmate-his-need-new-hip-creates-dilemma?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

3. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

It's not the state's fault nobody wants anything to do with the guy. All they can do is try to get him the care he needs. Plus, they do have a point about how does it look to spend thousands of dollars on somebody you're trying to execute anyways.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And the point being, execution is not supposed to be about economics, but they're determined to make it so?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't see how you get that out of this story. They're sure as hell not planning on executing him to save money ... they're planning on executing him because he killed six people.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Prosecutor and shifty witness should both be charged with first-degree murder. You know what happens to those kind of folk in Texas....

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who still supports the death penalty today just keep telling yourself that it's humane and flawless and perfectly acceptable. You're a barbarian if that's the case. Personally I don't find any reasonable arguments for the death penalty. But when corruption and zeal to hold someone, anyone, responsible, whether they should be held accountable or not, keeps sending innocent people to death, the shit eventually has to stop. State sanctioned killing isn't any better than the most gruesome of murder. The end result is still the same, once you take the emotion out of it. And we shouldn't be upholding the law based on emotion, but on rights and wrongs.

cranberry likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Is this your opinion or the new dogma? I didn't get a memo.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is more "tolerance" from the "tolerance and diversity" side of the aisle, i.e., we are tolerant of all ideas as long as they align with our thoughts......

And it is utter bullshit.

First of all -- when you see how some of these fucktards kill, rape or injure someone, they no longer have a right to live. They have forfeited that right by their own actions. Nobody is playing God, we are just reinforcing YOUR decisions to be a scumbag.

But forget about all that - I understand the flaws in the death penalty, understand there are race and poverty issues and bias and it isn't a perfect system - though now with DNA testing, there are far less mistakes (something the 'death penalty is the devil crowd' won't talk about.....), so I am willing to concede that unless you have a smoking gun and an iron clad case, we should be very cautious about administering it.

I could even live without it to some extent because there are some issues, again, with how and who we administer it to.

However, please explain to me why we shouldn't immediately execute ANY violent felon who is currently serving time that kills, attacks, injures another inmate or attacks a guard?

We have already given you one chance to make your life right and put you in a prison. You have now proven you are not being rehabilitated, you are not interested in becoming a productive member of society, you are still a scumbag so you now longer have the right to live.

Why is this inhumane?

I nearly puke any time I watch some of those documentaries about prison life on MSNBC and see these videos of prisoners shanking each other, attacking guards, guys we have to put in solitary confinement because they are so violent -- what purpose does it serve to keep these animals alive?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's my opinion, clearly, and one I'm well aware not everyone shares. But it's what I believe.

Regardless of whether someone did something bad or not, judging who gets to live and die isn't something I feel comfortable putting in the hands of any man. It's not tolerance or wimpiness. It's just what I believe.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

How many innocent people do you think is an acceptable number to imprison for life to ensure that 100 guilty men are imprisoned for life?

If you are OK with life imprisonment, you have to be OK with imprisoning an innocent person for life. Does that mean you are OK with that?

If you are OK with any type of criminal punishment, then you have to be OK with punishing an innocent person.

Etc

Draft saved Draft deleted