1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tennessean happyspeak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 5, 2014.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I don't know the guy nor have I read any of his stuff but I heard that his stories were a little too much fluff and not enough hard-hitting news.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then he should have been a perfect fit for Gannett.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

John Glennon, please pick up the white courtesy phone...for the sake of this Preds fan!

4. Southwinds

Southwinds Member

I've seen some of their coverage, and it looks like the last guy was just writing AP gamers. I don't know if that's true though, because the only things that ever came up online were 250 words or so. Maybe they left the writethroughs for the paper, but that would be a very un-Gannett thing.

I asked a friend of mine who's an NHL beat writer and he said the guy couldn't hack the travel. Apparently, they already have found their guy and offered him.

5. Folks ... as many of you know I have no problem writing on this site, using my real name. Let's clear some things up:
    Fact: We are currently hiring a Preds beat reporter. He/she will travel with the team.
    Fact: Eric Stromgren left us just before the All-Star Game. It was his decision. We wish him well.
    Not true: We are using AP. I have contracted with freelance writers in each of our road games so far. We have used AP one time to help supplement our coverage. One time.
    Fact: We do not yet have a writer on board. I'm spending a lot of my time interviewing folks.

Dave

6. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Fact: Dave Ammenheuser is no longer The Tennessean's sports editor. That position was eliminated. He was retained as a columnist, and now clearly responsible for doing both jobs.

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How much does this job pay?

8. TigerVols

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

They can have my ideas - all damned good ones - about 10 minutes after they cut me my first check.

10. Baron Scicluna

Is what he wrote still considered crowdsourcing, or does Gannett have some new nickname for it?

11. TigerVols

So what do you know? The folks at 1100 Broadway have been kicking ass in uncovering rampant hypocrisy among Tennessee state reps who blocked expansion of Obamacare in the Volunteer State.

This is just one of many stories, including a front page editorial and a behind-the-scenes story that blasted reps for passing on lies about the paper's efforts.

State premium costs reach nearly $1.9M for 10 lawmakers

Nice effort by the girls and boys of Gannett.

12. Baron Scicluna

Credit where it's due.

Draft saved Draft deleted