1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thanks again, AP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Jul 25, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Putting together the college roundup for Tuesday's paper and saw on the digest Princeton was ranked. Would have helped if they'd listed it under women, not men ...

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Whew....thank you. I thought I'd screwed it up when I listed the games. Fortunately I noticed the error in time and put the capsule with the women's games.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Next week's golf schedules are all messed up in the TV agate:

GOLF
    3 p.m.
    TGC — PGA Tour, Phoenix Open, second round, at Scottsdale, Ariz.
    4 a.m.
    TGC — European PGA Tour, Dubai (UAE) Desert Classic, third round
    8 p.m.
    TGC — LPGA, Coates Championship, third round, at Ocala, Fla. (same-day tape)

This is for next Friday. Not sure why 4 a.m. is listed before the one that starts at 8, but whatever.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What's the deal with AP Exchange? Haven't been able to access it for an hour now.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, doesn't look like I can get in either. Site must be down.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Noticed that earlier, too. The site must be warming up for its annual Super Bowl Sunday meltdown.

7. HanSenSE

And it continues during the week as well.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't get it. How do they keep screwing that up?

9. HanSenSE

Since we're bitching, they didn't have the full card or weight classes for Friday Night Fights, either.

10. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I've done work for AP and I know the routine. A NewsNow and 1st writethru must be filed as soon as the game ends. Then you go do your interviews and send a new story.

So why did it take more than an hour from the time the NewsNow was posted, to the time we got the first writethru? After an hour I called the AP eds in New York only to be told that they hadn't received the first writethru from the reporter. I've noticed this a lot with Notre Dame stuff (which was the case here). Doesn't the AP have a regular reporter for Notre Dame sports or do they have one that is clueless and slow? When the first writethru finally came through (20 minutes after I called NY), the story had no byline, so I have no idea if it was one of their regulars.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Tom Coyne is the regular writer in South Bend, but I think he's a GA reporter who handles Notre Dame sports, unless it's a big-time football game and they send someone like Ralph Russo. Not a true AP Sports Writer.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Some gems in today's TV listings ...

FS1 — Providence at Setoff Hall
    ESPNEWS — Houston at Toulon
    ESPN — L.A. Lacers at Miami

KYSportsWriter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted