1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Needell AKA Shockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 25, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Somehow, I never put 2 and 2 together that Paul was Shockey. We were the same age and were friendly with a lot of the same people. I worked part time and interned in the NFL office in the late '70s and early '80s when I was finishing up college. I also did a little work for the Jets on occasion before going to work for the AP. Anyway, here's today's column from Gary Myers, who broke in at the NYDN just a few years before Paul.

Myers: Ex-Newser Needell had Jets covered - NY Daily News

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Paul, Rich Cimini, and Mark Cannizzaro were very kind to me as a young writer doing backup stuff on the Jets. They didn't have to be, but they always were. I've heard the same from other writers. It made an impression. I hope I'm the same way to others.

Paul and I talked from time to time here, the last time when one of his sons was considering law school. Went back and read those messages today. Was glad they were there, but sorry I hadn't talked to him since.

Life's too short. Way too short.

RIP Paul, and thanks Rich and Mark.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

On a day with terrble news, it is great to see the wonderful tributes to my friend Paul. And I know he would be pleased to know you all know who shockey really was. And I have to tell you that he and I discussed our bouts of MS "problems." Now keep in mind I have had it since 1991 and I'm doing all right with it. I can walk regularly with a walker and I have even gone on a few trips. I told Paul about them and he was happy to hear it. I think I even made him feel a little better to know I was doing okay. I only wish Paul could have done likewise. So I thank you all and I want you to know that besides being a good poster here, Paul was a good writer who knew more about the NFL than anybody I know.
    Carry on.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Great story there from shockey and I'm also 100% with him on the "coach" part. If I'm not one of his players, he's not my coach. Baseball reporters don't address the manager as "manager."

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

RIP Shockey. It was obvious he was one of the good ones.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You could tell how nice a guy he was by the way he interacted with people on here. He could be stubborn and opinionated and sometimes he shared a lot -- too much for some people on both accounts. But no matter how someone reacted to him, he stayed the same nice guy. I had some moments where I absolutely loved him, and I told him so. And some where all I could do was shake my head. I knew he wasn't in good health and that the MS was really making it difficult to even just type. But I hadn't thought about him in a while, and I feel a sense of guilt about that. Damn, 57 is young. RIP.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Sad, sad news. I didn't know him but through this board, but I always enjoyed reading his posts and how genuine he was. I pray for comfort for his family.

8. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

I read Paul religiously growing up, and he always wanted to punch me when I told him that, though I think he realized it was sincere, and was flattered. Later, we worked closely at the Star-Ledger, in that glorious yet brief period when budgets didn't exist (in a good way) and I was smart enough to shut up and listen as he would tell tales over dinner and cold beers about life, football, the Yankees, family ...

Funny: when I called him to tell him I was leaving for the Post he was heart-broken; not because we wouldn't be working together any longer but because he was Daily News to his soul, absolutely and completely. It was like telling a Shark that you were joining the Jets (the other Jets). Then he said: "I've hated that paper my whole life; how can I keep hating it if you're there?"

One story of a million. And here's one last one: a few years after I left the place, the Ledger did one of the most despicable things any paper has ever done (and isn't THAT list an endless one) and tried to run Paul out of there. The backlash bordering on revolt that happened as a result was among the most amazing things I've ever heard. It didn't take long for those bastards to be shamed into doing the right thing and Paul was retained, and stayed there until he simply couldn't any more.

I loved working with Paul. Loved knowing him much more. Godspeed.

Mike Vaccaro

murphyc, pseudo, Jim_Carty and 3 others like this.
  9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

God, SJ.com has been hit so hard by deaths in recent years.

I didn't know Paul Needell in real life. Or, maybe I did, just because he was always so genuine and so good here as "Shockey."

I'm glad Shockey was identified, otherwise a lot of us might not have known about and acknowledged his (or Needell's) passing. He definitely deserves to be remembered, not only for is work on the Jets/the NFL but for the great voice he wielded here.

He was such a great family man, and person, and, as such, such a great example for the rest of us.

RIP, Shockey, and heartfelt condolences to his wife and sons, affectionately known to us, thanks to their dad, as "the three stooges."

Through Shockey, we got to know you. We've been privileged to do so.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't have anything profound to add. Just condolences to his family and friends, and he will be missed. But I had to say it.

Some days you click on this board and get punched right in the damn gut.

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I can't pinpoint exactly why, but it hurts in a different kind of way when we lose one of the SJ faithful.

RIP, shockey.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The future is promised to no one, but I have a suspicion the 'three stooges' will be OK -- because their dad prepared them to be. They'll miss him, of course, but they'll never really be without him .

I wonder what my grandfather, and my older brother, both of whom died before I was born, would have been like to know. I wonder what they would think about how my life has turned out. I wonder if they are really going to meet me in heaven or wherever we end up, have they been keeping tabs on me for 50/plus years now?

I suppose that'll be one of the things which will make it really interesting.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    WriteThinking likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted