1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you shoot?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

3. 93Devil

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

There's no hard and fast rule on the copyrighted video if it's a short clip with full credit. I know a lot of people say with music, it's 9 seconds, but that's not true, either. 9 seconds in the most you can do on YouTube without it being flagged for DMCA, but often YouTube will just throw an overlay ad trying to get the viewer to buy the song.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Wasn't trying to argue. :) Just thought it was a good read on the subject.

6. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I will say, as a follow-up, if you're looking to reduce the impact of the sun, what you really need is a Neutral Density filter. They're like sunglasses for your lens.

7. 93Devil

Thanks. I have noticed a positive effect using a UV filter, but I only use it when the sun is out and directly overhead. I think it makes a difference, and it's only a few bucks.

The Neutral Density filter seems rather pricey.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

ND filters are the balls. They're so much fun to shoot with on a bright day.

This was a 30-second exposure I took at about 10 a.m. one day near my house. I loved the reflections of the sun on the water and the way the ocean smoothed out to the horizon.

[​IMG]

9. 93Devil

That rocks.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I think I want to trade houses. Cool shot. Why the 30-second exposure, by the way?

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Mostly because I was experimenting with the ND filter. I wanted to see what kind of effect a long exposure would have during the bright mid-morning sun. Rather than stopping the action and capturing a moment of sunlight on the water, it allowed the sunlight's reflections to dance around and create in interesting effect of the light on the water. To me, it almost looks like electricity dancing across the surface.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Wanted to share some of my most recent work and get some input. Feel free to let me know what you think. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted