1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New forum software

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Give me a day or two to work out the kinks here.

Right now I'm just working on the placement, later I'll work on optimizing the loading speed/reliability...

When I get to that, it shouldn't be hard to make it so ads aren't leaving white space or slowing down page loads much--they can load asynchronously.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No worries. Just thought you should know it was going on.

Jeff likes this.
  3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just my two cents' worth: I don't mind ads at the top of the page, or the bottom, but I don't care for them between threads.

JakeandElwood, Amy and Vombatus like this.
  4. Jeff

Yep--the in-between-threads and in-post ads will be guests only. Those placements perform significantly better, but they're too annoying if you visit the site regularly.

Right now only guests see ads because I'm still figuring out the layout code, but once I enable ads for logged-in users, please let me know if any of the placements are really annoying and in the way.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dumb request probably but can you clean up one of the visual issues I have: make the sticky thread links another color, maybe red?

There are 5 or 6 sticky threads on Anything Goes and ... well, you know.

Jeff likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can we just get rid of sticky threads?

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Redirects making the site nearly unreadable on the IPhone.

8. Jeff

Do you have the URL perchance of where you're getting redirected to? These spam ads also often redirect through several domains--if you can identify any of them it'll help me report those ads upstream to the network. They don't want them either.

I know the Google engineering team is well aware there's an issue and working on it--they've heard complaints from a lot of users.

Also, right now most of the ads are disabled for logged-in users, so if you're able to login hopefully that helps?

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

This might be a silly question, but I've read through most of this thread and can't find an answer. Is there a way to easily view unread replies? Do I need to add threads I'm commenting in to my watched threads?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You'll figure it out. But if you reply on a thread, you should get alerts. And you can click New Posts to see all the most recent posts. It is different, but I've mostly gotten to where I like it.

Jeff likes this.
  11. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I JUST saw that I was getting alerts. Very cool.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm all for this site making money, but these popup video ads that play automatically are awful.

And the targeted links, on phrases within posts, are increasing as well.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted