1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you shoot?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

More video thoughts I'd appreciate from the link below.

Other than the intro, I filmed everything on my iPhone. I then edited the entire package in FCP X. The story was originally going to focus on how not much has changed between 1985 and 2015 (Back to the Future Part II), then Erin got more into the technology and we had a "big name" in the physics world around these parts talk about hover boards being a reality in his lifetime.

I realize it's 4:28 (long for a media outlet video on the web), but does it capture your attention well enough to stay engaged? It was originally 6:00 and I cut it down.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/ent...usive-device-back-future-exists-csu/21661935/

Photo that's running with the story (so glad there's a DeLorean in town. And don't judge my women's denim jacket. Couldn't find a cheap men's one at the thrift store for the costume):

[​IMG]

2. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

Just discovered this thread. I'm part of a two-man sports staff and came from a weekly, so yeah, I shoot quite a bit. This is just one I happen to have saved on my laptop, I shot it from the 2014 Players Championship in May. The back drop really stands out. I'll start posting the shots I like and appreciate any feedback. Thanks for starting this, Matt. 10302329_10203846801399263_6745938703247698333_n.jpg

TarHeelMan likes this.
  3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nice framing.

Were you using any type of filter on your lens for the mid-day sun?

4. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Nice shot right there from a greenside bunker.
    More and more writers need to start shooting. Tough with some sports for sure.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Love it. Minor quibbles with the background, but overall, it's fantastic.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yeah, background wasn't the best, but our photographer worked with what she had. In the print version, it looked like this:

[​IMG]

We just needed flames!
    [​IMG]

7. 93Devil

Button fly jeans and paisleys ...

8. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

I've been shooting ever since I started working 13 years ago. It's almost become natural, but volleyball is the worst. Basketball is right behind it in the doing both category between juggling the camera and the notepad. I am using right now an old Nikon D50, and I plan to upgrade to the new D7000 once I scrape some pennies together. From what I hear from other colleagues, I can use that to shoot indoors without requiring a flash.

9. 93Devil

It's not you. It's the gym.

Many of the old gyms have old lights that are only giving between 10-15 foot candles on the court. Not only is this against code (that's a feature for you) but it fucks you when you are shooting. If you do not have light, you cannot shoot.

Look for upgraded gyms with T-5 high bay lights. You should be getting 30-35 foot candles on the court in these gyms. Shoot in those gyms and you will do fine.

Start making notes for the gyms that have lighting upgrades, and try to get a lens with as low of an f-stop as possible.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I liked the video ... it helps that college towns have goofy science profs available to be interviewed. The vacuum cleaner-powered hoverboard bit was funny, especially since its range was the power cord/extension cord.

Quick question from this luddite: Is there a copyright issue using that clip from the film? Any restrictions on that, or do you just have to give credit?

11. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

No filter

12. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

Shot I took from a high school basketball game tonight. Kid ate this ball up. His team still lost though 10402968_10205897220258453_7635433558174312894_n.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted