1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stuart Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Was the "DJ Stewy " moniker an SJ creation or was it's origin from somewhere else?

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I haven't watched ESPN in years, and certainly not their "news" program, so I have no idea what his shtick might have been. I could line up 100 people in the next hour who have never heard of Stuart Scott. That doesn't lessen the sadness of a young man dying, but it's not like Elvis croaking.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I'm in Southern California and I know who Stuart Scott is. It is tragic he suffered through this at such a young age. But, as a couple of posters said, if his farewell is bigger than, eventually, Vin Scully's, then this world is totally out of whack.

Birdscribe and Hokie_pokie like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Was away from the tube most of the weekend, but settled down with my first episode of SC in a while to get caught up. Only in the eyes of the WWL was this a bigger story than the first round of the NFL playoffs ... or am I screwed up?

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The coverage was completely out of proportion. I get that people were sad that their friend died, and I appreciate that. But it was still too much. They could have done a separate special on Scott that went into great detail. Certainly the news of his passing belonged on Sportscenter, but it shouldn't have been the focal point of the show.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

ESPN has always "played the hits" as Dan Patrick says. The network is as much about itself as it is about sports. One of it's yakkers says something on one of the shoutfests and it gets a rise out of social media, it becomes a story. LeBron coughs, it becomes a story.
    How many times does a host on a morning show get pregnant and it becomes a running segment? It's all relative. Maybe print people don't get it because readers just don't connect with writers the way people connect with people who are on TV.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Based on the limited amount of coverage I saw Sunday and Monday morning, what Smasher said above pretty much sums it up for me. I was never a fan of Mr. Scott's lingo but the man was clearly talented and enthusiastic. RIP.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

And Beasley will be better than Rose, Love will be a bust and Mayo will be in the HOF.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The only negative effect, in local TV, was news managers - who know little about sports and actually running a department - trying to find the "next Stuart Scott" for the sports departments.

That didn't work so well.

There really was only one Stuart Scott.
    Just as those of us "on TV" have never done a story about a newspaper columnist or a city news reporter moving on to another market or taking a job in our city. Yet I've answered questions from print reporters who've called my home for three different jobs asking for a quote. That's cool -- I get it.

Why did it matter? The POTUS put out a release on Stuart Scott. The freakin' president. If Christopher Cross, Billy Ocean or even Phil Collins die unexpectedly between now and January 20, 2017, the president won't be offering a statement on any of those three.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hey, you don't know if the POTUS isn't a huge Christopher Cross fan. SAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIILLLINNNNNNNNNNNG

Draft saved Draft deleted