1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need volunteer help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Jan 5, 2015.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum. I haven't been around these parts in forever because I've simply been too busy. But let me get right to the point. I run a suburban news website (2 1/2 years now) and I need help. In March I suffered a massive heart attack (the doc called it a widowmaker and said it should've killed me) followed by another in June and still one more on Christmas night. I am now facing possible open-heart surgery, which would put me out of commission for 4-6 weeks. As a one-man operation, you can imagine the damage this would do to the site. If there are any of you who would volunteer to cover a story or two a week (high school sports, news, schools, etc.) it could help save my site. I know this is asking a lot but I'm grasping at straws. I'm also going to seek unpaid college interns and have had a few readers ask what they could do to help. If some of you believe I'm asking too much, so be it and I fully understand. Any stories could be adequately done via email and/or phone. Heck, even city council meetings are posted online at the city's website and the PR person and a few councilmen are used to me "doing interviews" through email. Thanks for your time and if you're still in the Christmas giving spirit, shoot me a private message.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'll help out writing some high school sports roundups or short stories via email and such. Let me know how to help.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If you can clarify the general area (guessing Texas?) I'd be glad to help if I can.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Thanks, Songbird. Will contact you via private message. And it's Dallas area. I have five high schools I cover for sports. I've gotten one local college kid to volunteer for soccer coverage and some non-sports features, as well as a local photographer. And like I said before, every writing area - sports, news, etc. - can be done without being there live.

Draft saved Draft deleted