1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Dee-Ay-Go, make that Los An-Gel-Es, Super Chargers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 7, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So let's say the stadium gets built and the Rams move back to LA.

Then how are the other teams going to get new stadiums? Threaten to move to St. Louis? The city already isn't happy about paying for renovations to the dome. Why would they want to build a new stadium, again, after having two teams abandon them?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's why this makes sense now though -- basically nobody else needs a new stadium besides the St. Louis/Oakland/San Diego group in play here. Ideally the San Diego stadium moves ahead; or the Raiders move in with the 49ers; but after that there isn't much need. Maybe some (Atlanta and Jacksonville), but they're eventually going to have to use L.A. or nobody is going to see it as a viable threat anyway.

Probably 10-12 stadiums got built because of the threat of L.A. It did its job.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Owners will ALWAYS "need" new stadiums. Danny boy is already making comments about Fed Ex Field. Atlanta wants a new one. The Buffalo renovation wasn't much more than a repair job. I haven't heard anything about KC, but that stadium is 40+ years old.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Atlanta got a new one. It's being built now.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Better build an extra in case they don't like the first one.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pay for it out of their own multi-billionaire pockets?

Oh I forgot, the entire objective of our entire society is to suck the nutbags of the billionaires. Never mind.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

KC renovated both stadiums a couple years ago. It's essentially brand new.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is no way in hell any pol in DC, suburban Maryland or Northern Virginia would put up a nickel to build a stadium for Snyder unless he changed the nickname, which he won't.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Sucks for St. Louis, but if you're looking at the greater overall good for society, doesn't this accomplish it?

St. Louis/Missouri doesn't have to pay massive public money for Stanley's toys. Stanley pays for his own stadium, creates a ton of new jobs while LA gets its team, and St. Louis gets to stop pretending it's anything but a baseball city.

It'll be interesting to see what the attendance looks like for the Rams next season, after Sam Bradford's annual ACL tear gives Jeff Fisher another excuse for a 7-9 season filled with dirty, uninspired play.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm in STL and i say good riddance. I'd gladly trade LA the Rams for the Clippers. I'd even throw in the Blues, though i may be in the minority here on that.

But money spent on the Rams would be much more well-served in other areas, especially in a city with a homicide rate that jumped 30% year over year in 2014 and a network of failing school districts.

Plus, they suck and they're boring. LA can have them.

dieditor likes this.
  12. dieditor

dieditor Member

I think you're in the minority on the Blues -- at least they have local, involved ownership that's spending to the cap and trying to win, even if the Blues constantly fall apart in the playoffs.

But I'm with you. Tell Stan to leave the Lombardi Trophy at the base of the Arch on his way out. That's St. Louis' -- but LA can have the mediocre, vanilla team. I used to at least enjoy watching the Rams for their suck value; you'd always hope that they'd suck bad enough to get a really high pick (which they often did), but lately they've been just bad enough to get a mid-range first round pick that won't solve anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted