1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freelancing question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think "working on a story for" [Insert Publication Here] is much better than saying "with."

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm Joe Blow and I'm with Lawn Darts Illustrated is how I would go about it.

Sorry, reformedhack, but I'm also a plagiarist and a thief and I couldn't resist stealing some of your wonderful thunder with this publication.

reformedhack likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm with the, "I'm Joe Blow, and I am working on a story for Lawn Darts Illustrated" camp.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I freelanced a gig the other night and introduced myself to the coach as "Hello, I"m Phil and I'm stringing for the Punxsutawney Press." The coach, knowing that his local newspaper regularly used stringers for road games was more than accommodating for what I needed. I think in certain situations, you can tell them you're a stringer and it doesn't mean any less to your subject matter.

6. JPsT

JPsT Member

I think the best method depends on what you're doing. When I write features, I do the "I'm JPsT, and I'm working on a story for Horseshoes Quarterly." If you're stringing a high school game and saying hello to the coach before the game, "I'm here for the Podunk Press" to make sure they know you're the 'hometown' guy. At a news conference where you have to say your name and outlet, no need to do anything more than "JPsT, Darts Digest."

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I usually say: "Hey, this is Lupica, you fuckin' know who I am, right? Start talking."

8. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

In a former career I was regularly interviewed as a subject matter expert on a particular topic.

I really couldn't care less how they introduced themselves.

What garnered my respect was never their title, it was:
    1) Did they actually listen to what I was saying so that I didn't to re-explain the same thing over and over again?
    1) Did they seem like they were keeping accurate notes so that I didn't have to worry about getting misquoted?
    3) Did they ask intelligent questions that helped me deepen my thinking on the topic?

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

Another reason to mention that you're freelance (besides complete honesty) is that it sometimes enables you to mention other places you've written. A strong track record will sometimes compel a source to prioritize your interview request. In addition, a smart source will realize that if they talk to a freelancer, the connection might afford future opportunities to be quoted/interviewed in other publications.

Jeff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted