1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SE in Oregon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 20, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

We're getting another "wave" here now with many tech outfits and techies heading up here from SF for some elbow room.

2. Thought "flooding the zone" was going to ensure all of those hires made by tbe Wunderkind would still gave jobs.

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The likely reason that the editor at the OCR thought it was a good idea was because the deputy editor who oversaw the sports department was equally as clueless. He probably couldn't tell the difference between a football and a hockey puck if his life depended on it. He's the one who put this guy in as sports ed, and not knowing any better, agreed to everything that was suggested by Sharon. He probably still thinks he made a good decision in making the hire and destroying what was once a good sports department.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This is all true. But to clarify, at that time Sharon wasn't the OCR Sports Editor. He was a Team Leader and there were three other teams leaders who -- supposedly -- had equal authority. The above description of the Deputy Editor overseeing it all -- John Fabris -- is accurate. During this time, Fabris/Sharon gave an official OCR staff blog to a former high school classmate of Fabris. She called herself Afternoon Angel and she posted fangirl stuff, mostly about her kids. There were photos of her family's trip to Arizona for spring training. The next year she posted the exact same photos. It was a disaster. PS -- Fabris was nailed in the September layoffs.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sharon has landed on his feet ... back at the OCR. His fourth "first day."

So ... I've always told people I'm the luckiest man in the world because when I was in 8th grade at Carmenita Jr. High School in Cerritos I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was a newspaper reporter then (1976), and, as it turns out, I am a newspaper reporter now. Tomorrow, I'll arrive for my fourth first day at the Orange County Register. I started at that newspaper in 1985, moved to New Jersey, started again in 1997, left to chase Hollywood, started again in 2000, left last year to work at great places including the Oregonian and Cornerstone Communications that, for various reasons, I couldn't make work. So I'll start again at the Orange County Register on March 18, 2015. Newspapers are in my DNA. I'm happy I have the chance to reclaim my career doing what I love -- what I was born to do. I guess you don't know how much you appreciate something until it is gone. Here's to never looking for another job.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Billy Martin of the OCR

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can smell the insincerity on that post.

"This is my true dream job -- except for those 3-4 jobs that I really wanted more."

Wonder how many compromising photos he has to keep getting hired back.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't know if you guys got this sense before, but... Keith thinks very highly of himself.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Figured this would be worth a bump (not of heroin).

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Who replaced him in Oregon?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's really inappropriate and unfunny.

Padre likes this.
  12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. If I were in a high position and posted something like this, I'd probably get fired. Wonder if he'll take any guff from his followers.

Draft saved Draft deleted