1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you shoot?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thanks!

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Earlier this year our boss bought my co-worker a Nikon D7000, in part because it does video. Last week boss was talking about how we need to do more video, so he bought a Nikon D7100 that I'll be using. I have three Nikons already (D40, D70 and D1H) so some of the controls are very familiar, but the technology has sure changed and improved since those other cameras were new. Much improved high ISO performance, faster focusing, etc.
    I'm covering a night Christmas parade on Saturday so that's going to be a good test, both for pics and video. Fortunately a neighborhood in town really goes all out with Christmas decorations, so I'll be able to experiment with various settings before the parade.

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I'm curious to see what you get, murph. Do you like the 7100?

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Could we add video to this thread? I realize that runs more of a risk of outing folks, but would love to see what video work y'all are doing.

I hooked the GoPro up behind the backboard last night at the Wyoming at Colorado State game to shoot the second half. I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. Biggest problem was there not being enough excitement around the rim (luck of the draw). Next time I do it, I won't put the same song on a loop 2 1/2 times, but it was 1:30 a.m. and wanted to have it done that night to embed in my column and not search for more stuff on Killer Tracks.

Does anyone else have experience doing this? What's the best angle to use?

http://www.coloradoan.com/media/cin...the-rim-highlights-wyoming-vs-csu-basketball/

5. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Nothing fancy here, just a shot I took at a soccer game tonight that I love for some strange reason. It's so simple, but I think the white uniform on the pitch black background (which is just the night sky) is striking. There's something surreal about it.

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not that it's a stellar shot or anything like that. Just took this.

1) It's really cold up here in Bennington

2) What, there wasn't *any* room up front for one more person?

3) The guy's (if it's a guy) body language says, Why the fuck am I sitting in the cab on such a cold fucking day?

4) Not only that, he (if indeed he's a he) is wearing sandals.

[​IMG]

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It looks like The Taliban has invaded Bennington. You better call The Green Mountain boys

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Je Suis Ethan Allen.

HC likes this.
  9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'd skip the reception.

10. 93Devil

It would be perfect without the for sale signs and the cars.

11. 93Devil

Do the blurry balls bother people?

I know you have limited light, but is that a deal beaker on the photo for some?

12. 93Devil

A handful I have recently taken...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted