1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. PW2

PW2 Member

Even though I've expressed concern that writing about a sensational alleged rape dangerously feeds into the idea that this is how it happens, I can also understand why Erdely wanted a rape like this for a totally legitimate journalistic purpose: if the school sweeps this rape under the rug, just think of what they do with your garden variety rape.

That's not a completely indefensible approach to the story.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not pretending that RS isn't ideological. Have you ever seen me post about the ideological nonsense that Matt Taibbi has passed off as investigative journalism?

What is getting me about some of the posts on here is that they are turning RS into a "left wing" magazine or a "political magazine." As in, "Oooh. Those progressives with their agendas are trying to brainwash people with their propaganda!"

Rolling Stone is not trying to be the Worker's Daily, or anything overtly leftist. It's not even trying to be a political magazine, even though it sometimes touches politics. It is trying to be an irreverent, hip, cultural magazine that is geared toward post-college kids. Guess what most of those readers are interested in reading? Guess where their politics lie? Just as you can ask, "Guess where their musical tastes lie?"

Anything more than that is really overstating it.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Erdley apparently had a malicious, preconceived narrative that she set out to write, damn the inconvenient facts. In her case, the boogeymen were white, privileged, flip-collar frat boys. Another unscrupulous impostor of a journalist, based on his/her disposition, might pick different boogeymen.

It's just unfortunate that this particular incident provides a gotcha moment for the trolls fighting the good Internet fight on behalf of oppressed white males.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I mean, this is the same magazine that put Al Gore, John Kerry and Barrack Obama on its cover and had Wenner conduct soft Q&As with all three. Taibbi became essentially the face of the magazines non-entertainment journalism by casting Republicans as evil and Democrats as cowards. These are my politics! So I'm hardly offended. But saying it doesn't have a POV is a little silly.

How soon we forget the controversy over Gore's half boner on the cover.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Did you know that 65 percent of all reported rapes are perpetrated by white people? And, that number holds steady through pretty much all age groups.

Rape is much more a white issue than it is a black one. Telling the "rape crisis" story any other way would be more than a small misrepresentation.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, when you consider that white people make up 72% of the population, wouldn't you be surprised if a large majority of rapes weren't committed by them?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, if a large majority of rapes are committed by white men, young white men, why is it all of the sudden "politically motivated" instead of "factually motivated" to endeavor to write an article about rape framed around young white men?

You may also take into account that a larger majority, as high as 85 percent, of victims are white, too.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait a minute - where are they getting the money for all these rapes and stuff? /Creosote

10. joe

joe Active Member

Donna L. Potts, rape victim and Washington State professor, on "Our Collective Apathy About Gang Rape."

http://tinyurl.com/nm2rrv2

11. PW2

PW2 Member

As soon as the Rolling Stone account of a gang rape at the University of Virgina was published, doubts about its veracity began to circulate. The columnist Jonah Goldberg, for example, found it implausible that seven fraternity “pledges” would commit such a violent rape.

Rolling Stone story: 11/20/14
    Jonah Goldberg column: 12/3/14

12. PW2

PW2 Member

From the comments on the Chronicle column:

I find her entire story credible and wish that some good reporter would follow every single lead now. ... Because of admittedly bad reporting by the RS done merely to illustrate a story it believed--that gang rapes happen at colleges--no good reporting has been done since to pursue the truth in this particular case. Currently the wider press is merely illustrating the story it now believes--that she lied. Same bad work.

Shoe, meet PW2's TV screen.

Draft saved Draft deleted