1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Might be about to be let go. What now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1GreytWriter, Dec 11, 2014.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Read "Elements of Style" by Strunk & White. Review punctuations and how they work. Get a general book on editing.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some people aren't meant to be copy editors. Even if you know the rules, you can read write past errors.

But sounds like you have a lot of skills. One drawback of being chained to the desk is that it's hard to get out there and network for that SID job.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd argue it's time to grow in your assertiveness. Taking warning calls over the phone? Working every holiday while others don't seem to work any? Allowing bosses to skip performance review meetings? Being unsure about working in media relations because some guy (who probably wants to protect his own job) tells you it's not all fairy tales?

I can appreciate difficult working environments and holding on, especially when there's kids involved and they gotta eat. But the "everybody else got off holidays but me" is a classic shitty/passive boss move that you fell for.

And if you want to work in media relations, do.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You wanted somebody to edit that, didn't you. ;)

On the main issue, I'm with Alma. You really have nothing to lose. Ask to have your situation spelled out. Know your options.

5. 1GreytWriter

1GreytWriter Member

I did try to talk to my boss about the holiday schedule. He said coverage demands outweighed seniority and that the people who are off the major holidays have to work other times. The only problem is, one of these people was already off about 3-4 weeks over the summer because he got married/took a honeymoon and now he gets breaks on Thanksgiving and Christmas. He said he felt this was a fair solution. Both of my bosses in this job have been younger than me and were first-time managers.

I was sent my performance report and I have to sign it, but I've been holding off on that. I talked to my boss at my other position today, and she told me to call her tomorrow so we can talk about moving forward. I don't want to say there is something there yet, but we'll see what she says.

I had time off planned for this coming week to finish burning my PTO because my company has a "use it or lose it" policy. And go figure, next week is also the company Christmas party. Think I might be skipping that...

6. At this point, management is walking over you because they can. If your alma mater is nearby, visit the career services center. Ask a friend not at your place of work to look over your material.

7. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Might not be a bad idea to attempt a counterattack, if you haven't already tried that strategy. Keep track of the good work you're doing -- good catches, lively headlines, strong performances on deadline, etc. This way, you'll have a portfolio you can use as a counterbalance to whatever negatives they dredge up during your next review. I've done this on occasion over the years when I was an occupant of the doghouse, and it has turned out that the bosses had no idea I was, indeed, doing some good work. Yes, it's self-promotion, but sometimes you have to be your strongest advocate. Don't go down without a fight.

8. 1GreytWriter

1GreytWriter Member

I will try that. At least knowing that I'm not totally a lost cause at work (I have my strength areas; just not with catching errors apparently) is helping.

I'm not sure if anyone else here has a similar experience with possibly being forced out. I admit it could be just what I need to get into a different field, especially if my conversation with my supervisor at my second job goes well. I have been thinking about change months before this warning, but it does feel a little scary when this is where I've been for a while and it's all I know. It just felt comfortable I guess.

As far as the person who said I can work in media relations if I want. I'd still consider PR/media relations jobs, just not in the sports industry.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to out you or anything, but what coverage demands would there be for Christmas that someone else couldn't do your job on that day? I can see New Year's, and other holidays, but unless there is something specific to your area, or the NBA, there is nothing else going on that day.

The advice on building your portfolio with good things you have done is solid, and it can help you for your job search. It sounds like your bosses have these performance reviews just so they can dump on you. Don't just sit there and take it. Show them that you are much better than what they think you are, especially if you are so valuable, that other people cannot cover for you on a holiday.

10. 1GreytWriter

1GreytWriter Member

I work on a team of several other editors, and we all have to be on short shifts for that day. I can't think of anything going on besides the NBA, but one of our big higher-ups (so not my boss) sent an e-mail that said how some of us would have to be available because we are in the 24/7 news business etc., etc., etc. so they keep our usual coverage schedule and just have people work in shorter shifts.

I think with that said I may be about close to being outed...

11. Baron Scicluna

One other thing that I thought of, as much as you may be tired of working two jobs, I would not quit the PT gig to focus of the full-time job. For one thing, it will give you some income in case your bosses dump you. Second it is better than having a gap on your resume, even if it's part-time work.

12. Baron Scicluna

So you're not just in sports, but also news as well. That makes more sense. Unless your boss is an idiot and thinks there are games going on at 4 am on Christmas Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted